Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

[ QUOTE ]
Shorthanded play.
Min-raising.
Dealing with shorties.

[/ QUOTE ]

i concur...I dont know of any books written on 6max nl play and i think there is so much money to be made at this. Plus by default you deal with tons of short stacks at 6max. would love to see more theory on this

also would love to see a talk on the differnt style of plays...the tag approach vs the mahatma approach
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 AM

I would think some advice on handling overpairs/ big pairs and AK/AQ depending on the board and opponent(s) would be most beneficial since alot hand posts here at the small stakes seem to concern these hands.

How to adjust to 6max would also be good.

Just my 2 cents

BTW I'm really looking forward to this book.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Here are some off the top of my head:

--- How to play the nuts or near nuts

--- Pre-flop 3-betting range in and out of position

--- Maximizing EV vs calling stations, maniacs and Jamougha

--- Open limping and min-raising

--- Folding KK pre-flop (my pet peeve)

--- Deep stack and short stack play

One thing that would be good is if you had concepts (maybe boxed in bold) that are just applicable to SSNL so that those who have read other 2+2 books can hone right on the important concepts of each section.

Thank you for posting here and I look forward to your book.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Shorthanded vs. full-ring play gets my vote as well.

I imagine writing anything constructive for shorthanded play will be difficult, as it is so situational and opponent-specific.

But anything you experts would care to write about adjusting from full-ring ABC poker to 6-handed and shorter, I will be delighted to read.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Coltrane,

Knowing to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em, knowing when to walk away and when to run. Is it cool to count your money when you're sitting at the table, or is there time enough for countin' when the dealin's done?

Seriously though, I'd like to see something about live play and, more importantly, playing out of the blinds in various situations.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Hi, Sunny:

I'm really glad you asked this question. I'll try to answer in more depth later, but for now I'd like to reiterate and invitation I PMed to Ed Miller to frequent our Digest Posts and the so-called 'Pooh-Bah Posts' linked in the Master Sticky of this forum. The tactical issues which we in the SSNL community find most difficult to get our arms around are also the ones that generate the best posts in this forum. Those posts are highlighted in the Digests and the PBP lists.

For my part, I'll do what I can to get Digest posts created more regularly, and try to get them a little more focused on our 'issues'.

One thing I'd like to mention right off the bat that I know is a very common problem here is tactical & strategic adjustments that players make when moving from limit games to no-limit games. I made this switch in earnest myself a little over a year ago as a limit player, and I found it to be very difficult. My contention since has always been that limit hold'em and no-limit hold'em are so different that they might as well have different names. The switch seems to be more difficult for limit players with more experience, presumably because they are so good at limit and the games are so different.

I posted a summary of my thoughts of these differences some time ago in this post (link), but in my opinion this subject deserves much more coverage. It is a very frequently-asked question on this forum, and one which has not been answered sufficiently (although there have been recent attempts which were valuable).

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck with the book! I, for one, am looking forward to reading it very much.

- Grunch

Edit to say that while I don't now agree 100% percent with everything I said in my linked post above, I do agree with the majority of it. Those things I don't agree with now completely also tend to be situational.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM

I also would like to see a section on playing different styles.
1. Maybe a series of approaches to the same hands from a LAG vs. TAG perspective. Starting requirements and follow up strategies for the play. Balancing sacrifice of short term EV for metagame.
2. Strategies for countering good LAGs
3. Switching gears between styles.
4. Simultaneously playing different styles in an opponent specific way and balancing this in multiway pots.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM

things to think about when setting up opponents for later hands
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Hi Grunch,

I've seen the digest posts and am following. We will address some of the subjects.

Would you sticky this thread please.

Thanks -

Matt
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 PM

I would be interested to see thoughts about preflop playing styles and why one is better than the others specificly for ssnl, or if so why it really doesnt matter.