Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Official review thread, luckychewy 109 stars win

Okay, last 174 hands. I again tried to avoid commenting too much on the hands that Bond had already commented on.

Hand 203 - Surprised you raised w/Q9 here after the last two hands (got your c-bet check/raised in 1 and everyone folded to your PFR in the other). Are we on the bubble here?

Hand 216 - Similar to the QQ hand before only this time I like it soo much better w/KK because I feel like villain has fewer outs.

Hand 247 - I assume the flop check in the mutli-way pot is a dead give away that he doesn't have PP here?

Hand 253 - I was somewhat surprised at the call PF. The call on the flop seemed standard. I was really surprised at the call on the turn. Thoughts?

Hand 273 - Earlier you CC a PFR w/ATs. Now we are folding. This has to be read based? Or is it just based on the Villain's position?

Hand 285 - I really like this one. I need to add plays like this to my game more. So much value to be gained here especially late.

Hand 321 - Are we calling a shove from the BB here? We'd be getting nearly 2:1.

Hand 328 - I thought this was a call too.

Hand 333 - I would have checked this turn also.

Hand 336 - I also would have bet flop.

I would be raising a lot more of the heads-up hands PF.

Hand 349 - I don't know. Mabye I just fall in love with aces heads-up.

Hand 357 - Value bet river? I probably would have bet on the turn as well, but I think the check is just as good there.

Hand 369 - I know Bond said so too, but I probably would have called on this river as well.

Well it looked like this guy had no idea how to play heads-up. Rasing to 22K with the blinds at 3K/6K makes almost no sense. He wasn't even making raises that big at the full table. Nice job sir.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 AM

203 - iirc we were near a mini bubble and everyone was just playing super weak. definitely marginal though.

216 - yea the more i look at this and think about it the more i like it.

247 - not neccesarily, but this guy was fairly straightforward, though i guess it's possible he has 66/77 or something small he was just playing weak on the flop.

253 - pf i think i need to call, he half potted it here and i could see him having a worse ten or aq/aj. on the turn for half pot with the nfd i just picked up i have to call and riv is standard.

273 - well yea in the other hand he min-raised and here he made it 3x with like 14bb fairly early. i felt there was no reason to get involved here. fwiw i had AJo not ATs here.

285 - yea i'm a c/r monkey. O_o

321 - the short stacks in this tournament were playing so tight i don't think i would've called. can't really remember my exact read on him was but i think i would've folded. just raising cause they were still playing weak.

328 - yes definitely a mistake on my part.

333 - certainly viable, i gave my reasons for a lead and i don't think it's terrible.

336 - yea i sometimes bet flop for sure.

349 - def a very weak fold by me. not sure what i was thinking. i mentioned this earlier.

357 - after he min-bets flop and checks turn i'm fairly sure he has nothing. just trying to get him to bluff at it or make a thinnish v-bet. i was obv going to c/r him on riv.

369 - ehh i really don't think i am good here 1 in 3 times or whatever it was. the bet, check, bet line is sometimes air from a donk for sure...but he bet half pot, how credible is a bluff here? i don't think he's re-leveling me either, he was playing fairly bad imo.

thx, and ty for responding. yea he was kinda aggro hu, i was just trying to play flops with like 30bb behind i def think my advantage is post flop vs. him. i believe i raised pf one time when he limped and i raised KTs.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Some questions, comments in my quest to learn from the winners.

hand 49 - you limpfold A8 in SB. Bond limp re-raises. I would probably raise.

hand 82 - do u always rse utg w KQs?

hand 183 - one alternative would be to donkbet the flop instead of check calling, since your unlikely to improve on the turn. If he raises, you can fold to his Q. This raises an interesting point. Is check-calling perceived as a sign of weakness or a sign of strength? Do we assume good players perceive it one way and bad players perceive it another way? Does it depend on the buy-in?

hand 211 - Why do you check the turn with your set?

hand 216 - In light of hand 211, he may be more afraid of your check than your bet. I would be afraid of giving Ax a free card or if he was cking a medium pair, hoping to ckrse you, a scare card on the turn could prevent him from putting the money in, but you seem to have his range narrowed down to broadway, so I guess checking the flop is OK. That is one of the areas of my game I need to improve on; narrowing down ranges of villains possible hands based on current and previous actions.

hand 233 - I guess I would be moving in on the flop here, since it looks like a good flop for me and I wouldn't want a nasty card coming off on the turn. Theres 12K already in the pot. The raiser has 14K remaining and the coldcaller has 21K. It seems to me that if you don't like this flop, you called his pf raise only to flop a set and I don't think the stacks are deep enough for that.

These all apply to the same villain, seated to your immediate right.

Bond:

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 238: Why the flat call as opposed to a reraise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

lucky:

[ QUOTE ]

238 - iirc he was constantly min-raising but this time he 3x'd it. i thought this was a giveaway that he had a much stronger hand, he had also been relatively tight in general. though i think i should peel flop 1 time and shutdown if he fires turn, checking behind if he checks and just trying to get to showdown because he has enough air c-bets in his range(aq/aj/maybe even 88). i also think for the hands i do beat in his range he folds to my 3-bet, except probably not 99, of course picking up the pot right there is a good result at the time i felt he was fairly strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman:

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 253 - I was somewhat surprised at the call PF. The call on the flop seemed standard. I was really surprised at the call on the turn. Thoughts?

Hand 273 - Earlier you CC a PFR w/ATs. Now we are folding. This has to be read based? Or is it just based on the Villain's position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky:

[ QUOTE ]

253 - pf i think i need to call, he half potted it here and i could see him having a worse ten or aq/aj. on the turn for half pot with the nfd i just picked up i have to call and riv is standard.

273 - well yea in the other hand he min-raised and here he made it 3x with like 14bb fairly early. i felt there was no reason to get involved here. fwiw i had AJo not ATs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 273, his position is exactly the same as in 253 (as is yours). His stack is much smaller relatively, though, and yours is bigger. Will his range not broaden now that he is relatively short stacked? Would he continue mini-raising with a short stack? Can you really decipher his ranges based on the absolute size of his raise (2x raise = OK hand, 3x raise = strong hand).

Admittedly, I didn't watch every hand, rather just the ones you were involved in and a few select others, so I haven't even seen a 3x hand of his shown down.

Is this raise-size tell a generalization of typical villain behavior or just this particular villain?

This brings up a question. Is mini-raising ever a good idea? I rarely do it, but I frequently see others do it, especially at later stages.

Hand 278 - Is re-raising allin here a good idea?

Hand 346 - limp folding A4 headsup? I guess I would just raise preflop, but I see you say you wanted to play post-flop against him.

Hand 350 - kind of a risky VB on river. I guess you figured he would call with any pair?

Hand 357 - why didn't you bet or ckrse flop? Did you feel this guy would never bluff turn or river once you called flop?

Hand 368 - surprised after limp folding with A4 that you limp call with this. I think I would have bet the flop with the oesd after he ckecks. If not on the flop, I would on the turn after he cks again.

Hand 374 - excellent limp. It appears he likes raising your limps. Also, he's probably steaming from the last hand.