Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: *** The Official New York Rangers 07/08 Stanly Cup Champs Thread *

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Prucha is better than Horssa. But the point is, Horsa and Prucha are better than Hollweg and Orr. And having a checking enforcer line is overrated anyway. I'd rather have another line that can score and keep the puck in the other team's end.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not overrated. The rest of the Rangers are already soft, Avery excluded - and Avery needs someone like Orr around to clean up for him.

They probably won't bench Prucha - thankfully.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

According to the Hockey Numbers guy, Hossa is tied with Shanahan in being the Rangers' most valuable forward (in terms of marginal goals) thus far this season. That despite hardly getting any PP time. His penalty killing has been outstanding and his even strength play has too. He's among the Rangers' leaders in even strength expected goal differential (based on number and quality of shots for and against), and he's third on the team (amongst forwards) in ice time at even strength.

check it out
Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM

HE HAS ZERO GOALS!!!

You can not attribute this to bad luck. If it were Dubinsky who is a rookie, and just called up, that may fly with him. Hossa a "veteran" who consistently underperforms is inexcusable. Year after year he does the same thing. The guy was a healthy scratch plenty of games last year. This warrants him the 3rd most icetime on the team?

In any event, as Rube said, the point is Hollweg and Orr are useless, especially Hollweg. The thing is Hollweg was useful 2 years ago before Rangers had Avery, and now Dawes and even Dubinsky aren't afraid to hit and have not taken nearly as many dumb penalties. They also don't have the reputation Hollweg has.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Hi BOOT,

I can totally understand the frustration that comes with following a team so closely (even though I happen to hate the particular team we're discussing), but this...

[ QUOTE ]
HE HAS ZERO GOALS!!!

You can not attribute this to bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

...is like saying I'VE WON ZERO TIMES WITH ACES in my first 1k hands, that can't be bad luck!

You can absolutely attribute his 0 goals to bad luck if its warranted (and in his case it is). Furthermore, the "goal" stat in and of itself is not terribly meaningful in determining value of hockey players. Player contribution in hockey comprises more than scoring goals, and must also be adjusted for both opportunity and quality of opportunity.

It's like saying "Player A had no home runs, and Player B hit 20!" and thinking that Player B is a better baseball player when Player A went .311/.406/.501 in 700 PA's while Player B went .275/.327/.450 in 500 PA's.

-S
Old 11-18-2007, 03:27 AM

12-7-1, 9 of last 10. And we still don't look like we're playing well offensively. Man this team has the potential to be ridiculous if they could ever get the pp going. Hopefully we can knock the Isles down a peg on Monday.

1st place baby.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Sunny,

I appreciate the interjection of stats and your contribution despite being a Devils fan, but as someone who follows this team every day of the year it's difficult to accept.

I am not talking about just goals. I am talking about points in general (none: comparable to his ice time and personnel surrounding him), the ability to create (none: all this guy does is chase the dump and maintain possession for about 5 seconds deep in the offensive zone), forecheck (non-existent). All he does is look for Jagr to bail him out. You'd expect him to rack up a bunch of assists on Jagr goals but he doesn't. Not even by accident. Not this year, not any year.

All this guy can do is kill a penalty and shootouts. You would think a guy with some shootout skills could dangle a little bit, but he cant. He is a goofy big body that eats minutes. Ortmeyer did the same thing and is long gone and not missed a bit.

Betts does all the things Hossa does but is better defensively and isn't out there with the goal scorers. Hossa being anywhere other than the 4th line or a healthy scratch is a complete joke.

and since it's fun being results oriented, from tonight...

Prucha draws 2 penalties, the 2nd of which nets the Rangers their 3rd goal...

Hossa on the otherhand breaks his stick on the doorstep with a juicy pass to him. Bad luck of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 AM

ugly

Islanders played a v v solid game.

Straka or Callahan needs to come back immediately. This slouch Hossa is clearly the worst player on the ice every single game.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugly

Islanders played a v v solid game.

Straka or Callahan needs to come back immediately. This slouch Hossa is clearly the worst player on the ice every single game.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to most sites, NYI are playing way over their heads and are due for a big losing streak. The NYR are actually under performing despite the big win streak.

This is a good sign.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM

I don't know where that stuff comes from. The Islanders look like a very good, solid team, with a very good coach.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM

god I hate the islanders so much