Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Rockies fans are gonna be pissed. Braun Wins ROY

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh, I was under the impression that Coors Field was no longer the offensive juggernaut field that it used to be. Maybe I'm thinking solely of HRs?

[/ QUOTE ]
according to baseball reference coors was 109 for batting and pitching (over 100 favors batting) while citizens was 104 for batting and 103 for pitching this year. dunno how accurate their numbers are though

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you have that number? I can only find the 3 year averages for 2007 (so presumably 2005-2007) and its 108 for batting at Coors and 105 for batting at Citizens Bank. Still probably a pretty significant advantage, to be sure, but I dont ever hear anyone talk about how infalted Rollins and Utleys and Howards numbers are because they play there. Ditto for ManRam and Papi.

And bear in mind, when I say "anyone" I mean typical sports fans and media, not people who actually use park-adjusted numbers and such.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2007.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/COL/2007.shtml

one year under park factor

oddly enough, using things like OPS and traditional stats, howard was a little better away than at home this year

edit: vorp is park adjusted. still dont think troy shows up on anybodys radar for roy if he doesnt play at coors
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 AM

just because they use the humidor doesn't mean that coors isn't impossible to navigate in the outfield still.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM

I don't drink, so this is an honest question:

Could the voter preference for Miller beer over Coors beer have played into the voting? If so, thank god that no rookie from St. Louis got into the mix - that would've been a mess.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i already stated my agrument about rollins being > going forward was based on projected WARP from PECOTA. not on one great season.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

why the irrational hate for jimmy rollins by people? position adjusted he is the most valuable player on the phillies going forward, yet everybody blows howard and utely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you believe he is the most valuable player on the Phillies going forward -- that's what you said, right? PECOTA may or may not agree with you, but that's what you think, too. And the basis for that opinion, because the only year Rollins has, positionally adjusted, been better than Utley (and even that's debatable) is in 2007. Ergo, Rollins' ability to repeat his career year in 2007 is why you believe he is the most valuable Philly going forward.

Too easy.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

If Braun moved to 1B or LF could he have deserved it?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No because 3B offensive production is more important than COF or 1B production so his jump in defense probably wouldn't have made up for his lower offensive numbers.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. He also "could" have deserved it at 3B, but not as much as Tulo.

I'm not pissed that Tulo didn't get ROY, per se, but I am a bit cheesed off that it's obvious no Rockies are going to get any major individual awards this year, in a season where they make the World Series, have several leaders in several offensive categories, and at least arguably have the single season best team defense ever.

Not only did Tulo have only 11 errors all year, you can't argue stuff like range factor, because he had a ton of chances, turned a ton of double plays, etc.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM

I think Holliday will get MVP. At least I hope so, even though his splits suck. I just don't buy in to all the Rollins hype.