Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PoG's Move?
17...Qe7 1 3.23%
17...Qc8 2 6.45%
17...Qb6 1 3.23%
17...Ne4 3 9.68%
17...Rc8 11 35.48%
Results 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Bankrolling 17 year old kid

[ QUOTE ]
Most poker players lose, why shouldn't he?

[/ QUOTE ]
cause its freakin easy to be a winner in todays online games if youre no retard and have some talent when it comes to logic?? (and br management ldo)
Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM

forget sit and goes get him on to micro cash games

also T.O.P is best to be read after a playing for a while i think he will see the bigger picture with time at the table not all books.

ps
winning low limit holdem by lee jones is the best first poker book out there

good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM

man i just drank a whole powerade!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Imho if you have to pay your kid to read books and play poker, something's not right. Granted if he was 5 years old you can get away with bribing him with sweets, but if he's almost 18 he's definitely old enough to make his own decisions.

If playing poker's what he really wants to do then great go for it, however by the sound of things you've got his entire poker career planned out for him - what types of games to play, how many games and where to play.

Encouragement is one thing, especially since so many parents are against poker because they see it as "gambling", but almost forcing your kid to play poker is going a bit too far. Sure it can be an awesome way to make money, but imo you overlooked the emotional stresses this game can bring, not to mention that even intelligent players can make huge losses.

Bankrolling him $1000 to get him started is all well and good, although given your conditions, it's hardly "no strings attached".
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 PM

you are one hardcore dad.

I think 1000$ is too much to get started with, I think 500$ should be MORE than enough to get started. I would also get him started with 6 max cash games because they involve more thinking/ and that's where the money's at but that's your call.

I also agree on that emotion /br chapter on ITPM, imo it's the most underrated 2p2 book.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM

If he is so smart how does he need you to forcefeed him information and pay him to obtain it?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Give him $1,000 on his 18th birthday and drop him off at the Army recruiting center.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you name specific no limit holdem video titles? No abbreviations if possible. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Table Poker by Phil Gordon. This video and Little Green Book are Phil's best contributions to the poker community. Those, and all the dot.com millions he's donked off to better players.

He's a good poker player, and his WPT title is ligit, but he really isn't world class.

Also try Rolf Slotboom's cash game videos. Really, any video from www.expertholdem.com is worth the price. Other than those and Phil's, I don't really like poker DVDs, or the DVD format in general.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 AM

Three pages of replies and no one has yet suggested that he build his roll and his experience base by playing only freerolls.

I'd love to find an interested, motivated 18 year old whom I could trust to hand over all the freerolls I have no time or not enough incentive to play.

So far, its not clear that the poker playing is the son's idea. Assuming it is, I'd still steer him towards the $11/hour Walgreen's job. After work let him build his roll from scratch via freeroll tournaments and use whatever he earns to finance the poker avenues he decides he wants to explore.

If he really takes off he should be able to finance his own play via his earnings or perhaps at that time his track record of success may better justify and utilize your own cash infusion into HIS bankroll.

Lastly, this really should be his idea to play or you should just leave it alone. There should be about a thousand things more important to an 18 year old kid than sitting around playing cards.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM

OK first question... is he interested in poker at all?

Poker is a hard slog - mentally it requires immense discipline and the very unusual ability to realise that the instant result is not to be taken as positive or negative reinforcement of what you are doing.

It really really helps if he is fascinated by the game first and foremost.

It is soul-destroying and much harder than it was to start grinding up the limits purely for cash gain.

If he wants to play then let him learn - just point him in the direction of the linked thread, buy him PokerTracker (or holdem mananger is it's out when he starts) and give him $100 or whatever to play the micros.

You don't need to roll him $1000+ - people who are learning from scratch should be limited by experience and skill level, not bankroll - if he puts in a month or two of solid winning poker at any level he will automatically be rolled to move up anyway.

The two reasons that loads of bright kids round here go bust are inability to mentally cope with downswings (it's the lack of control over them that tilts/demoralizes them) and moving up too fast - both are often caused by a sense of entitlement and overestimation of one's own abilities.

Earning your own roll is a crucial part of the poker experience - it can't be replaced by a study plan, $1000 and some books..