Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Default $10 - Shorty, Flop Nut in BB... line?

How'd I play this?

No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t400/t800
(Ante: t100)
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t32395
UTG+1: t21395
MP1: t37345
CO: t50338
Button: t25830
SB: t39912
Gyro: t13285

Pre-flop: (7 players) Gyro is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1900)</font>, 3 folds, SB calls t400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2700)</font>, Gyro checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t3100, 3 players)
SB checks, Gyro checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets t800</font>, SB folds, Gyro calls t800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t3900)</font>.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t4700, 2 players)
Gyro checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t4700, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Gyro bets t2000</font>, UTG+1 calls t2000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t6700)</font>.

Should I have just bet out?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: $10 - Shorty, Flop Nut in BB... line?

im not a big fan of slow playing but i think you played this well and squeezed out the value in your monster.

If you lead this flop i think most players natural tendency is to believe you are protecting a 5 and thus will cause most to fold unless they have monster draw or also have a 5. given that you flopped such a strong hand i think you are hoping someone pits there straight or flush and stacks off or in this case hits their river A and at least pays you off for something.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Not sure you can do much better than the results of your line there. Only way to extract on the turn is likely if the villain had a J. I like this line although I would probably lead out turn.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM

bet the turn weak enough that he is priced in with a wide range and hope he hits the river...when you flop the nuts you need to immediately plan the hand mentally to determine how you can create a reasonable spot for a river push (assuming you're short)...I think if you get more in on the turn you can bet bigger on river...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Yeah, I certainly didn't plan this hand well. Sometimes I'm great at that, other times not so much. I had recently taken a bitter beat, so wasn't thinking straight. I'm not sure a turn bet would have worked, though, as certainly I should expect him to bet again. Then on the river it looks like a sort of bluff. I was really hoping he was on spades. Sadly, just a pair of sixes. So I'm glad some straight draws didn't come in...
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM

I think I lead here for 1/2 pot, what hands limp in from this early that will fold to a bet on this flop at the $10 level? We are frequently getting called/raised w 2 overs or mid pairs etc, getting raised on our flop lead is the fastest way to ensure we get all our chips in the middle. I understand letting a card come off and re-evaluate the turn, possibly check non ace turn and bet river, but UTG+1 is rarely folding here and leading will only help disguise the strength of our hand.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not a big fan of slow playing but i think you played this well and squeezed out the value in your monster.

If you lead this flop i think most players natural tendency is to believe you are protecting a 5 and thus will cause most to fold unless they have monster draw or also have a 5. given that you flopped such a strong hand i think you are hoping someone pits there straight or flush and stacks off or in this case hits their river A and at least pays you off for something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree - leading will cost you money and you managed to milk this one for all it's worth. Fine as played.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 AM

I think you played it great.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 AM

I like a turn lead, or a flop check/minraise (seriously). He may go crazy with a draw, or raise to "protect" with a middle pair, or get annoyed and bluff. Since you're kindasorta deep, you want to do something other than just get a bet or two in.

The way you played it is the surest way of getting paid, but it's not maxEV. Even if a big move gets action a small % of the time, it can still be more profitable than this.