Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (NLTRN) 200 regular, river spot vs uncommon fish

[ QUOTE ]
I think what is interesting is that he is a 5 dollar player, and if somebody is posting this from a 5 dollar game we're likely going to say "monster or bluff."

I can't imagine getting inside this guy's head on this play, what is he thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you specifically see this erratice, goofy "what is he thinking" line way way more from a 5 dollar player? Whereas a regular solid thinking player it seems a lot easier to put them on the whole "monster or bluff" thing.

Also, this does fall into the category of "monster or bluff" imo, I think that river shove is a clear bluff. The stupid part is that if he thought he had to bluff if his hand didn't improve, then he should have folded earlier obviously. And while it may be unintentional or not by him, this isn't a horrible river line if he puts you on Qx, this is a tricky bet for a lot of one pair hands to call and you can fold safely and still have a decent stack.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (NLTRN) 200 regular, river spot vs uncommon fish

[ QUOTE ]

just from lookin at the hand/description i think its pretty close, simply because FFS what hand can he show up with bluffing here? a10 makes sense, k10 maybe too. since he has erratic tendencies i probably get sick and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

His logical range for calling 2 streets here is like: KJ+, Qx, flush draw, KT, i guess AT, and of course T9. His range for a river bluff are all the hands listed that missed. His range for a value shove are 2 pair hands and better (and maybe AQ or slowplayed overpair, but I don't put him on these at all here). I mean, why would he check-call with 2 pair on the river unless he puts you on a bluff and thinks you will 3 barrel, he's going to call if you bet, and you're always going to bet with a better hand, so he might as well bet and stop you from checking behind a worse hand.

That is his logical range. Now, if you add to this range all the goofball hands he might have been calling with and turning into bluffs, or mistaken value betting, I think you reach a point where this call is massively +EV, barring any insane extra circumstances (ie. he has check-called the 2nd nuts on the river 5 times or something). You see goofball hands show up in spots like this ALLLLL the time, the last 2 HU SNGs I played I won when a guy shoved on the turn drawing stone dead with no pair no draw against me (diff. guys). The last big HU SNG I lost, I had a guy call a bet with 84 on a Q62 rainbow flop against me and shove when he made a pair of 4s on the turn. You see stupid stuff like this alllll the time. Maybe just if you are me???

[ QUOTE ]

like i said this call seems good, but i'd venture to say you may be losing here >50% of the time. but its hard to say even with the well detailed description you gave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a really good read on the villain I think your hand is good probably 75% of the time here and his shove definitely warrants a fist pump.