Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Default A9o hand that has me completely lost.

Haven't posted strategy or a hand in a while. This forum is good stuff.

Villian is on the looser side and other than that just appears not too donkish. Comments on all streets are appreciated because I am so lost.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($8.64)
Hero ($2.97)
Button ($1.26)
SB ($4.77)
BB ($3.22)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.1</font>, Button calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.08, UTG calls $0.08.

Preflop raise is pretty standard 5 handed right? Once so many people call I figure I will really back off on the flop unless I get something really favorable because I have learned how to lose a lot with A off hands.

Flop: ($0.41) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.40</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls $0.40.

This flop is pretty good for me, but there is reverse implied odds and such and the pot is pretty big. I want to bet the pot to protect my hand, but still proceed cautiously. Still OK? not sure.

Turn: ($1.21) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.47</font>, UTG calls

This is where is gets all ugly. He isn't completely stupid so he must have had something decent on the flop. I would just slow down, but now I have the nut flush draw. Once he raises I am almost positive that he has the flush, but I am pot committed so I figured I should put the rest in when I still am drawing. So confused on this whole street.

River: ($6.15) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $6.15
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: A9o hand that has me completely lost.

preflop is ok, but offsuit aces in nl are pretty weak. one more off the button and i'd fold.

on the turn, at this level with these stacks you can get away with betting for value, especially with the nfd. as you move up, against better players, with deeper stacks, you can check the turn for pot control since you really don't want to get checkraised and either have to call a big raise or fold your nut draw. better players can fold worse 9's anyway, so you wouldn't get called by worse too often.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM

So then the whole hand is decent, but borderline? Tell me if that is right.

Also, if I do not have the flush draw on the turn then is it still alright to bet for value or is it wrong because I would be pot committing myself with a weak TPTK?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So then the whole hand is decent, but borderline? Tell me if that is right.

Also, if I do not have the flush draw on the turn then is it still alright to bet for value or is it wrong because I would be pot committing myself with a weak TPTK?

[/ QUOTE ]

with your stacks, the turn bet is perfectly fine, probably better than borderline.

without a club, bet-fold is a lot more tolerable because when you're behind you're usually drawing dead. you can also check the turn and fold the