Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Non Poker Strategy Books to Read

[ QUOTE ]
Wall Street stories, autobiographies and maybe even some underrated pure history is what I'm looking for, for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you don't want poker books, but of course we're all poker players so that's what most of us want to give you. I've got two suggestions that I wouldn't call poker books (although there is some poker content in one and some poker application in the other). However calling them history or wall street books would be just as accurate. There have been threads on them in the last 6 months if you want to search.

The Poker Face of Wall Street - Aaron Brown. Lots of Wall Street, some interesting history, and a little poker as well.

Fortune's Formula - (Don't remember the author offhand).
Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM

I think i probably have all (or at least every good)wall street true story,autobiography book, some i can think of of the top of my head

market wizards and new market wizards by jack schwager its like a Question/answer book interview with the top traders atthe time, most people you never hear of (returning 30%+ for 10-20 years etc,, the 2nd book, is much the same. he also wrote stock market wizards, which is stock traders, same idea, but not as good.

secrets of the street by gene marcial tells stories of how people have made money on wall street anyway they could, like paying off the paper delivery guy so he could see what would be printed in one of the papers first,around 20 stories or so.

Charlie d. by william falloon, about the biggest bond trader in chicago,great stories about the pits

The day trader- from the pit to the pc by lewis borsellino. The first half of the book is about his life in the pits as one of the largest (maybe largest) S&P pit trader, i think the last part is about the transition to the pc and how it changes traders, not sure, can't remember.

God in the pits cant remember by who, but also a story about one of the largest s&p traders i believe

and of course the classic book reminiscence of a stock operator by edwin Lefevre about the most famous trader of all time Jesse Livermore, he's basically the stu unger of traders, its from 1923 or so, reprinted of course, but a great read

good luck with your girlfriend,hope everything works out
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Amarillo Slim's autobiography, In a World Full of Fat People, doesn't get mentioned much but it's a very entertaining read, better than Greenstein's for my money.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 AM

not sure, but i think you are looking for books like these;
fooled by randomness - taleb. excellent book on decision making and natural biases we tend to have that lead to a faulty thought process.
the black swan - also by taleb. kind of continuing the story of the book above
when genius failed - lowenstein. account of the collapse of LTCM, a mammoth hedge fund, filled with nobel laureates, ph.d's, and other exceptional risk-takers.
naked economics - wheelan. an exceptionally readable story of economics as a whole, without formulas, but still with tons of substance.
48 laws of power - greene. by revisiting leaders and other important figures in history greene finds common links and tendencies that allowed them to interact with others successfully.
surely youre joking mr. feynman - richard feynman. my favorite scientist explains the experiences and people that shaped his thought process and allowed him to live such an extraordinary life.
hope this helps; anything from here would be great. ive read each book more than once (some many times). best wishes for your girlfriend.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:03 PM

"how to win friends and influence people," by Dale Carnegie. --- Full of strategy and great stories. It is not about poker, obv, but every live player should be required to read it.

I am addicted to Autobiographies. Among my favorite is

Travels by Micheal Chrichton. Terrible author, but one amazing book.
Underneath it All by Tracy Lords.

I think a good bit of cultural read is anything by Chiu Xialong, especially Death of a Red Herione. He writes about modern China and mixes it with Confusianism.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM

if your still looking for a book, i would suggest eudemonic pie by thomas bass. i know it's been recently reprinted and gamblersbook.com has it. its about a group of physics students who worked out a method to beat roulete based on wheel biases. i thought it was a fun read.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Biggest Game in Town". I'm blanking out on the author, an English writer and poker diletante writing about the WSOP and Vegas poker in the 1980's. Doyle Brunson, Jack Straus figure prominently. I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 AM

For biography history there is a really great Alexander Hamilton bio that I read last year, can't easily grab it to look at the author, but it should still be in bookstores, it was a huge book. Also, I am fond of Japanese fiction, post-WWII or earlier, Kawabata's the Master of Go might be a good choice. You might try James Calvell, Leon Uris, or James Michener for historical fiction. Best of luck to you.