Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

Plus, there is a clear distinction in the law. In most states gambling is a crime, "gaming" for money is perfectly legal. The distinction is most often based on whether the game is a game of predominantly chance, or a game of predominantly skill. The former is legally gambling, the latter is legally not.

Skallagrim
Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TE, nice, I do not do WIKI, but you may want to work in the following from BibleStudy.org

The last recorded case in Scripture is on Acts 1:24-26, when the apostles asked God' decision of a choice between two men to replace Judas, through the casting of lots.

"And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all [men], shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles. " (Acts 1:24-26)

WHAT IS CASTING LOTS:
http://www.biblestudy.org/question/castlots.html

The conclusion from BS, It is quite OK to flip a coin or some similar method, like a draw, to determine a winner , or the like, with the understanding that the outcome is left to chance and nothing else.

However, this all said, if you search gambling, it is condemed by this same bible study course.

Ah, me oh my.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

obg,

SWEET!

I knew from the years of traning from the Jesuits that this "bible say gambling is evil" was pure crap, as you can often find "justification in most religous docs for most anything you choose. Thanks, I had not done the work to did any specific quotes from the Bible up in counter-point.

Well done,

D$D
Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Good Article by the associated press late yesterday, running in todays newspapers.

Link to article on Chicago Tribune site

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations, Manager
Poker Players Alliance
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Nice srticle in a major paper.

From the article: [ QUOTE ]
USTR press secretary Stephen Norton said in a statement that the administration would review the letter from the lawmakers and "work with Congress and our trading partners to address this matter."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a signle from the current administration of backing down, at least some?

obg
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks D&D, there ios a lot more on gambling and examples as well, amazing how often God commanded using games of chance to settle matters, all overlooked of course by FoF and related groups.

This said, to parphrase Conyers (I think it was him) he and other members do not view the legislation as a 'moral' issue.

obg
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 PM

We can join and comment on this story and I urge ALl to do so.

My comment (sorry, I missed a typo, argh!)
1 min ago
So, when the USTR newgotiated, presented to the president, the congress voted on and the president signed to WTO, no one read it or noticed that we signed off on agtreeing to permit Gabling Services.

AW, phooh.

the truth of the matter is at the time the U S controlled the Internet and had then and has now Internet Gaming, I.E. AOL, MSN, YAHOO! all three offer "Skill" / Cash Compititions on card, board and puzzle games marketed as 'skill'.
Games such as Hearts, Spades, Free Cell, Solitaire and the list goes on and on.
The games are available right now, today, through American Based Compainies in Mass. and Cali.

Trouble is, the truth, so hard to actually be told anymore, is the U S cannot figure out, YET, how to tax Poker from overseas.

Give them a few months, all will be well, and the tax $$$$ will be rolling in, not out!

obg
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Hey OBG, i am def not in the position to analyze USTR statements, lol. But looks good to me. Here is another article that went out on PRNewswire-USNewswire.

Link to PRNewswire-USNewswire article on LA TV website

Bryan Spadaro
Poker Players Alliance
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Yes, a good story and glad to see it in a Lousiana paper considering their laws.

Also, I find the ISGA Hearing Statement interesting as well.
Glad to see the overblocking and lack of definition of illegal gaming if causing them problems. As I have said before, I believe looking at the numbers (30 million users of Fun Technologies, World Winner) there are actually more of them than poker players in the U. S., this can be helpful to us and the PPA in the regs battle and the Mass. battle.

obg
Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM

The ISGA Testimony can be found here in full.

ISGA Testimony on PPA Website

Bryan Spadaro
Poker Players Alliance
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Is the 2% tax on deposits competitive with the tax rates of jurisdictions like Antiqua, Costa Rico and Isle of Man?