Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Introducing a 4-year old to golf

My daughter just turned 4, so I got her her first set of golf clubs. US Kids Golf brand: 9 iron (with a molded grip), 7-iron, driver and putter. She's never played before, except putt-putt, but claims (like any four year old) to know how to play and wants to play with Dad. So, any advice from the pros/teachers here on how best to teach her golf while still making it fun? I myself am about a 5 handicap, so should be well-equipped to teach her for at least the next few years before turning her over to you guys.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Introducing a 4-year old to golf

I'm not a pro, but I have a 4 year old son. I got him a set of juniors (driver, 9/PW, 7/8, 5/6, putter). I just tee them up on some smooth-ground grass I keep mowed short (1 inch or so) and let him swing.

I try to keep him on the basics: "Swing through, don't chop (as he likes to do)", "Keep your eye on the ball", etc. Not too much though - if he gets frustrated, he'll just quit for a while.

I've taken him out with me on some "just for fun" rounds (begs the question: what other kind is there? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and let him hit on the tees and then pick up to where my ball is and hit again. Then putt out on the green.

What are your goals? I'm just trying to introduce the game and generate and/or judge interest levels. I try to keep it *very* casual. I'm not knocking anyone that tries more seriously with their kids, its just not for me.

I occasionally ask if he's interested in taking a "class" (like he has for tee ball, soccer, swimming) and get mixed results. If he shows enough interest next year, maybe we'll try one.

YMMV - I understand 4yo girls attention spans are *much* longer than boys (his average session length in the back yard is probably 10 hits or so). Mostly, I'd say make sure you and especially your daughter are having fun and don't worry too much about performance levels at this point.

JMHO
Old 07-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I'm by no means trying to "train a tiger," but I hope to spark her interest to the point that she is interested enough to keep her old man company on the golf course. I figure the more that she wants to play, the less "family time" I have to sacrifice for my own interests. Of course, if she happens to win millions on the LPGA so that I can retire in ten years, well, thats cool too.

Thanks for the tips. Basically, it sounds like what we have been doing. I try and spend at least 10 or so minutes teaching her how to swing, then basically just let her do whatever she feels like doing. Yesterday, she said she was tired of practice, and wanted to play on the "big field over there (pointing to the 18 hole championship course)." Big dreams...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, she said she was tired of practice, and wanted to play on the "big field over there (pointing to the 18 hole championship course)."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Of course, it would take a couple of LPGA cashes to repay those equipment and greens fees over the years.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM

I think all I'd do is teach her the basics:

1. Grip - Just to the point so it's decent
2. Stance/Lining up to the target. Tell her she needs to point to the way she wants the ball to go and make sure she's not leaning over or back too much.
3. Swinging the club not hitting at the ball

Other then that just let her hit the ball. These three things hardly need to be perfect either. Just so she gets the right idea.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Not a pro by any means, but I learned the game from my dad. I began when I was about 5 and am now 20 having played a lot of junior golf until I was about 12 and then played HS golf (was about a 10 handicap when I was 15, but didn't develop my game at all after that and never really had coaching).

If I were you I would buy her some of those plastic balls (not the wiffle type ones, but the solid ones) and make a few holes out in your back yard if its big enough. Your grass should let those balls sit up and make them easy enough to hit after giving her basics like not moving her feet and keeping her eye on the ball (much better than head down for little kids imo). If you can cut a hole or two in your back yard and put a pin in it (a stick will work for kids) and go out and hit to it from various spots. Go out in the yard with her and hit the same balls she is and have a competition (girls are probably as competetive as boys at this age) seeing who can get it closer in x amounts of shots or whatever. Also, I'd take her to a putting green somewhere and let her put on one of those, but try to do so at a time when it won't be insanely crowded and you can have your own space.

I was very competetive and my dad didn't ever let me win (or he was good at acting the few times I beat him, but I was pretty competetive in everything and I'm sure every child will react differently in that regard and I'm obviously not in a spot to give parenting advice or pretend to know about child psychology). If you're a good player then you should be able to teach her for a very long time (my dad was a mid 80s type player when I was growing up and I could still learn enough to hold my own through junior events up to about age 12). I definitely think plastic balls are the way to go to start though especially since they are easier to get in the air which is very important. Over time I think a driving range and par 3 course will do good, but I'd give it time at first. Putting and chipping can begin right away though.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 PM

I don't have a link handy so you will have to google it, sorry. But a pro named Danny Harvanek at the Bear Dance golf course in Colorado has some kids books and materials on teaching kids. I have not read them myself, but from taking a lesson from him I think he knows what he is doing teaching-wise. I spoke to him some about when my son got a little older. He likes teaching kids and has some programs for them I think. Worth a look IMO.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think all I'd do is teach her the basics:

1. Grip - Just to the point so it's decent
2. Stance/Lining up to the target. Tell her she needs to point to the way she wants the ball to go and make sure she's not leaning over or back too much.
3. Swinging the club not hitting at the ball

Other then that just let her hit the ball. These three things hardly need to be perfect either. Just so she gets the right idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice to start with. Focus on not moving her feet too. Kids definietly want to move their feet when they swing and the quicker they learn to keep then still the easier hitting the ball will be.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Focus on not moving her feet

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck. (Bring hammer and nails.)

I'm trying the old tie-a-weight-to-a-string trick to promote the notion of feeling the club head and some wristy little tee brushing, but my 9-year-old just wants to give it a smack.

And don't we all...
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Go read the story about Scoot O'Hearn's dad and do the opposite.