Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: billick calls out mangini\'s jets for cheating

[ QUOTE ]
Billick accused them of illegally simulating snap counts to draw the offense offsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone help out a casual football fan here? What does simulating a snap count mean?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't get me wrong, i don't think these two instances of 'cheating' are remotely comparable, and i'm not arguing with the penalty the pats got. i just think it's funny how the media is completely ignoring the fact that most NFL coaches and GM's are going to be much more pissed at mangini than bellichick, and what that says about the NFL prior to this whole scandal.

i don't think mangini is going to lose his job this year, but if the jets continue to suck and the time comes to move on, the number of GM's interested in giving him another shot is going to be much lower, all things being equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry nt you're deluded on this one - mangini is like 25 and a head coach in the nfl and took a sorry group of has-beens and young players and gutted his way to the playoffs last year

nfl coaches are pissed because this reduces some of their edge and brings league oversight into what they do - whatever. belichick was warned and he got what he deserved. if i could hire a coach who'd get my division rival to lose a 1st round pick, i'd do it if the only football he played was tecmo super bowl
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

mangini isn't going anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither are the Jets.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Billick accused them of illegally simulating snap counts to draw the offense offsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone help out a casual football fan here? What does simulating a snap count mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

defensive players saying 'hut, hut' or something like that

the penalty that colvin got called for in the NE/SD game is a little different, he was pointing at an offensive lineman accusing him of flinching. this was recently added to the rules, the snap-calling was already in there.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its defensive players yelling "hut" or something like it in an attempt to make offensive players think the QB is yelling it, which would then lead them to false start.

This is a complete non story. Shocking that the OP came from a pats fan, its like some of you guys will point to anything to obscure your teams transgressions.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

nfl coaches are pissed because this reduces some of their edge and brings league oversight into what they do - whatever. belichick was warned and he got what he deserved. if i could hire a coach who'd get my division rival to lose a 1st round pick, i'd do it if the only football he played was tecmo super bowl

[/ QUOTE ]

again, i am not saying the pats didn't deserve to get pinched, no argument there.

i am saying look at this from a GM's perspective - you bring a guy up through your system and turn him into one of the brightest stars on the coaching front. when big bad bill gives him the cold shoulder for jumping ship, what does he do? rats out the guy who made him in this league just to get back at him, on a charge that is commonplace and pretty widely accepted. this is kind of like the guy who gets picked on at a home game calling the cops on everyone there.

mangini's stock is high now, but when he falls, he is going to fall hard. the jets don't have the benefit of a softer-than-babyshit schedule this year, don't be surprised if they finish under .500 and people start grumbling about mangina. when he falls he is going to fall hard and fast.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a complete non story. Shocking that the OP came from a pats fan, its like some of you guys will point to anything to obscure your teams transgressions.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're [censored] stupid if you think i'm using this to justify what the pats did, since i have repeatedly said i have no problem with the penalty.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM

hahahaha yea this is so cheating
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

mangini isn't going anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither are the Jets.

[/ QUOTE ]
High 5!