Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM

Default 99 in SB - weirdos

Both players were loose pre-flop, VP$IP in the forties. Button was much more aggro and could go wild on the flop, especially heads-up against a pf-raiser with hands like BPTK no draw. They were kind of odd though because they didn't go to showdown a lot (<30% of the time).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, ...

I think I was going to fold if UTG bet and Button called but now... can I fold anything UTG has here? Like a ten maybe? Can't help but think that it would be a better play if I had pocket eights and the flop was 67T so I had a hope of folding 99 plus any ten.

Anyone like bet-fold better?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: 99 in SB - weirdos

I don't like this play. I'd rather just bet fold. If he's betting this river, he's going to look you up with a made hand.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM

I agree. Bet-fold river. Although the CR line does have its merits -- catch button betting hand he wouldn't call with (like busted flush), and push out UTG's weak T that he calls one bet w/ but not two. But that seems like a hell of a parlay.
Also, I don't raise the flop from SB w/ 99 after 2 players limped. Is that just me?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:26 PM

I think check/folding the river against 2 opponents will usually be your best play here. You gave us no description of how the BTN plays the river in you OP, so with the information you have given us, I think check/folding the river is your best play.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Check folding is the worst play. The pot is 9-10BB. Are we that sure that button has a J? Because he looked like he was behind in the previous streets. I think check-calling is fine if you are confident the btn will take a shot with BP or whatever.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:13 PM

So you like check-calling better even if it invites a call from UTG as well? Maybe I was too worried about UTG over-calling.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you like check-calling better even if it invites a call from UTG as well? Maybe I was too worried about UTG over-calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre going to invest a bet on the river, you should be bet/folding. I dont think either of these guys will bluff enough to make check/calling a viable line here. So your decision is between check/folding and bet/folding. On this specific board I happen to like check/folding.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM

I don't like bet/folding, because if the button can go wild with bottom pair, I would not trust him, especially when deciding to call one more bet in an 11BB pot. Is he bluffing 9% of the time? Oh hell yes he is. You might not be aware of it, but button may have bluffed you out of other pots and thinks that you are weak-tight, hence the river raise. This happens to me often, believe it or not. I wouldn't hesitate to call a raise against this kind of player. Against a solid player I like bet folding, but against loose aggressive donkeys I think you are making a mistake. If either one had 97, JT, etc. you would have known by now. I would check and call the river or else bet/call, but I'm not folding.