Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Americans dont watch French Tv-shows where stupid people are exposed

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, you don't want to see those. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im European (Or Norwegian, what we like to call "a better(advanced) European", but still European)

so I know what you deal with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do people in France feel about having the best footballers in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, welcome to 7-8 years ago? France no longer have the best footballers nor the best team, in Europe.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 AM

Thoughts/opinions on French Indochina (Indochine)?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Q - I keep hearing rumours Arsene Wenger wants to go into politics eventually. Is this some sort of bizare Gooner fantasy, or could he be a French equivalent of Arnie? Is Wenger even well known in France?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts/opinions on French Indochina (Indochine)?

[/ QUOTE ]

None really... Former colony that we lost along with most of the others in the 50s-60s. Nothing to get all worked up about, especially for my generation.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever happened with that thing I remember reading about a year or two ago with all of the black people flipping out for being discriminated etc. Same old same old or are you guys going to let them sit in the front of the bus now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you're talking about one of the multiple "sans papiers" (illegal immigrants) hunger strikes or protest that we had and keep having. It's not over and it's going to get worse, methinks.

[ QUOTE ]
Q - I keep hearing rumours Arsene Wenger wants to go into politics eventually. Is this some sort of bizare Gooner fantasy, or could he be a French equivalent of Arnie? Is Wenger even well known in France?

[/ QUOTE ]

We already have a few sports personalities with political responsiblities. Jean-Claude Killy (former ski olympic gold medallist) and Bernard Laporte (manager of the national rugby team) are two examples. Wenger is well known for his coaching successes abroad and also for his consultant role on french TV for big soccer games. He has litlte charisma though, I can't see him get elected, maybe get nominated.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 PM

how do french view the "erbfeind" (the germans) nowadays.

why don't french people (in general) speak other languages, -especially english? when i last visited france i had to use my hands and feets to make you people understand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 PM

I'm American and live in Paris right now and find that most people, especially younger people, all speak at least some English, usually pretty good English. Haven't found non-english speaking a big problem here.

How many people can speak good French in the US?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do french view the "erbfeind" (the germans) nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's still a vague sense of rivalry/conflict when we think about germans, but no real hostility. I think our people are going to be friends for a while.

[ QUOTE ]
why don't french people (in general) speak other languages, -especially english?

[/ QUOTE ]

Public schools don't start teaching foreign languages until the student is 9 or 10. In many countries the learning process for another language in public schools starts much earlier, at like 5-6 years old. Also, French is still a widely used language and everything is usually translated into French. People don't really need to learn any english unless they want to get out of the country.

It's changing fast though, with globalization and the Internet french people get in contact with English a lot more often.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 AM

hi manub/any other eurotravel experts:

my friend went to paris for a year because of work.
i plan on visiting him within the next four months and would like to plan a two-week long trip.
i would like to visit other countries in europe and see cool touristy things.
i will arrange for my own plane ticket.

i would like to know:
what are some great places to visit in france?
if you have traveled europe, what are some great places to visit outside of france?
are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?
are there any tours that take you to the alps for a couple days?
where can i go to sign-up for these and how much do they cost?
should i go in december/january/february/march?
will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

thanks!
fuji
Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend doing an organized tour. You'll want to be flexible with your plans.

Two weeks isn't a lot of time, especially if you plan on spending a large chunk of your time in Paris (which you should definitely consider).

A Eurail Pass sounds ideal for you if you plan on doing 5+ days of travel outside of Paris. I think that spending a week or so in Paris, followed by maybe two or three other cities in other countries might work well. If you could possibly extend your stay to three weeks, you'd have a much better shot at seeing Germany, Italy, the south of France, and possibly Spain.

[ QUOTE ]

will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'll be treated poorly, but you'll instantly be marked as a tourist, and it's very possible that you'll feel out of place. If you're comfortable with that, then go for it.