Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Strangers who want to discuss your lack of \"faith\"?

I find myself recently in situations where essentially a stranger will ask me if I goto church and my answer will be no b.c I don't believe in praying to a higher power, no proof of existence...etc. Standard atheist rhetoric. Regardless, why do people still feel the need to ask people who do not recognize a religious institution as to why we don't do so. These strangers range from coworkers, to friends of friends, distant distant relatives. Why the [censored] are people so godamn rigid with their religious views. Will some of you zealots please explain to me why you do this crap.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Strangers who want to discuss \"faith\" with you...

If there was this giant magical building in your city, that was just a giant room full of the most insanely beautiful hot naked women, willing to please you in whatever way you wanted. They are all disease free, with PHDs in the art of [censored], with vice grip vaginas, no gag reflexes and they can only cum if they have something in their ass, and this place was open 24/7 and was completely free and open to all. If you knew about this place and met someone who also knew about this place but who didnt go, wouldnt you ask why? Wouldnt you also try to convince them of how awesome it was and try to explain to them what they were missing out on?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:05 AM

wait, that's what i've been missing all these years??? i gotta start going to church
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM

Now we know why the gays don't care that they aren't going to heaven.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Strangers who want to discuss your lack of \"faith\"?

If someone told you they didn't believe in gravity, wouldn't you ask why?

Religion is something most people are told about when they are young, and they grow up never questioning it. It is inconceivable to most people that there is no god.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 AM

rofl@alobar

ZJ is right..just total different perspective, realize that they could be posting on some forum about how odd it is that some people lack faith.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 AM

Look at it from their point of view. If you believe converting someone will mean the difference between heaven and hell, then witnessing is the most ethical thing you can do. That said, there may also be Christians who have more of an "us and them" mentality and just want to figure out who the outsiders are so they can look down on them.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 AM

The best apologetics you can do for atheism is to show the genuine open-mindedness that atheism properly entails. Randomly nailing people on their confused literalism and faulty logic is not particularly helpful. And psychologizing spirituality in common conversation is supremely bad taste.

I like the Sufi mantra, "There is nothing but God." Next time an obviously religious person asks you if you believe in God, why not just say something respectful yet final. Maybe, "I have not met a personal God, but the beauty and mystery of the cosmos are profoundly evocative."
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM

If I was religious, I would do the same thing. Take it as a compliment. They want to invite you to a big party in the sky.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Sufi mantra, "There is nothing but God." Next time an obviously religious person asks you if you believe in God, why not just say something respectful yet final. Maybe, "I have not met a personal God, but the beauty and mystery of the cosmos are profoundly evocative."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not answer this way, because it does not accurately convey my view. It does not directly answer the question and sounds rather like something a politician would say who doesn't want to admit being an atheist.

However I agree with giving a respectful but final answer. I would answer that question the exact same way as if someone asked whether I believed in astrology: "No, of course not."