Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Microlimit guidelines and FAQ v1.0 - comments/suggestions thread

This is a companion, non-sticky, thread to the microlimit guidelines and FAQ v1.0 topic. Please post any comments and suggestions for improvement here so I don't have to organize PM's or perhaps to allow someone else to update the guide to version 1.1. Enjoy.

(The sticky will be stuck shortly i believe. I need to post this first so I can link to it.)
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Microlimit guidelines and FAQ v1.0 - comments/suggestions thread

The sticky has been up for 30 minutes and i already thought of something to add [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FAQ section:
When joining a table, is it better to post in the CO or BB?
It really doesn't matter. By posting in the CO, you pay 1 SB to see 7 hands (.143 SB/hand). By posting in the BB, you pay 1.5 SB's to see 10 hands (.150 SB/hand). If you are a winning player, not posting in the CO costs you 7 hands of potential +EV play. A few posters will post in MP3 as well if they just missed the CO. Most will recommend that you wait for the BB instead of posting in MP2 or earlier. Of course, if you are a losing player, its -EV to even sit down.

Term:
EV - expected value
Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Just read the FAQ, and I think it is excellent. I am new to the Micro forum, and found it very helpful. The threads linked to are great. Unfortunately I made a post slightly before the FAQ went up, that was already answered to some extent in there. If everyone who posts in this forum reads it first, the FAQ will be a great asset to the forum.

Somewhat O/T - bisonbison's hand converter doesn't work for cryptos? Is there something else that does, or will I have to make a conversion attempt manually?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:07 PM

floated terms:
FPS
ABC Poker

Also, I think sthief09's primer on pocket pairs and suited connectors has a lot of value.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Well done Spider. Where was this 2 months ago when I started. This should save alot of people wasted time and money. Should clean up the forum a bit huh.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 PM

The sticky is a nice contribution to the Micro-limit forum. I'm looking forward to days of more strategy. Nice work.

[ QUOTE ]

When joining a table, is it better to post in the CO or BB?
It really doesn't matter. By posting in the CO, you pay 1 SB to see 7 hands (.143 SB/hand). By posting in the BB, you pay 1.5 SB's to see 10 hands (.150 SB/hand). If you are a winning player, not posting in the CO costs you 7 hands of potential +EV play. A few posters will post in MP3 as well if they just missed the CO. Most will recommend that you wait for the BB instead of posting in MP2 or earlier. Of course, if you are a losing player, its -EV to even sit down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered this nicely without confounding the topic. If you like $$, post in the cutoff... Posting stuff about how it affects your win rate is largely pointless unless you are academically playing for win rate, and even then it's not clear. Nicely done.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:54 AM

I think you should include a section explaining what pokertracker is and where people can learn more about it. There are a lot of people who won't know how to find their own vpip, pfr, etc..
Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 PM

How about a section on what the book acronyms mean

SSH, Small Stakes Hold'em
ToP Theory of Poker

Also you might want to include when a poster sees their post quoted with nothing added the poster is saying "ditto & props". At least that is what I have been led to believe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Vern
Old 02-18-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also you might want to include when a poster sees their post quoted with nothing added the poster is saying "ditto & props". At least that is what I have been led to believe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-06-2005, 07:03 PM

Great work on the FAQ. As a n00b here, I've read and reread this plenty to get things straight. My comment is less on your FAQ and more on the link to Homer's Building a Bankroll for newbies thread. A recent poster followed the advice in that thread to take your first $100 to Interpoker's 1/2 tables and whore the bonus there to build up your first bankroll. I followed the same advice, and fortunately had a fantastically good run over the hands needed to clear the bonus. He, however, ran into difficulty with the tightness of the tables and lost his investment. He posted his disgust on the board, and the general concensus of the response was that taking $100 to Interpoker and the other Crypto's was terrible advice, and that Paradise's Granny bonus was a much better place to take $100. Homer's advice about maximizing bonuses is probably sound, but it's likely too risky to be a good place for new players to start, especially since the lowest limit is 1/2. Would it be possible to update the FAQ with an alternative path for getting started, including the Granny bonus, and perhaps alternatives of instantbankroll.com or the nanolimit games for people not wanting to even invest an initial $100?

Thanks.