Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: playing aces

Slow reply, I've been thinking about this one. Extracting value from trips from early position is something that doesn't always seem easy.

My concern here is a lot of action on the flop probably slows the players down later, and we're only winning half bets here. Also losing a player on the flop betting doesn't please me.

If I bet, UTG raises, then the third player should be folding a lot of hands if he raises to 3 bets what do I do? A raise probably should knock out UTG, but everyone is wise to the fact I like my hand. An overpair would probably just want to call it down?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Protect your pair of 1s, raise the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

agreed, the information that provides might help a better player too
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Given your reads on the villains, I like your flop & turn play here. As you point out, if you lead that flop it becomes relatively likely that UTG+1 raises & blows the PFR out of the pot (when he doesn't actually have an overpair). Or that you pinch UTG+1 out of it when he's got, say, 66 & figures you have at least a J & UTG+2 may raise behind him. There aren't really any draws for them to put you on (nor any draws for them to beat you with), so a slowplay isn't at all bad.

I dig the turn check/3bet. Two aggressive players, a bet & call on the flop, a relative blank on the turn...I sincerely doubt it's getting checked through ever. And you can't really fear set over set until the 3rd turn raise, so no need to go weak.

You got insanely lucky on the river, not only that it went bet/raise in front of you again, but also that both players paid off. River check/raises (or check/3bets) make baby Jebus smile, but whiffing on 'em when one or more opponents would clearly have called a bet makes baby Jebus pour sugar in your gas tank.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You got insanely lucky on the river, not only that it went bet/raise in front of you again, but also that both players paid off. River check/raises (or check/3bets) make baby Jebus smile, but whiffing on 'em when one or more opponents would clearly have called a bet makes baby Jebus pour sugar in your gas tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've missed bets here before and it is painful.

At the time my thought was "one of these suckers is going to bet, I can probably get 2 bets out of this". Getting 3 bets in and not having run into another set _is_ insanely lucky. Calling the 2 bets when it got back to me would have been wiser.

The fact a couple of draws are present on the turn (two hearts and the JT) works in my favour, semi-bluffing is so popular, I believe they think I had a huge draw (on the turn) and had missed when I checked the river.