Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Hillary: Lunch in D.C. Donation \'Contest\'

I'm just saying make sure it actually is a lottery if you are going to make a pro-poker argument based on it being a lottery. You are 0 for 2 so far.

I did get a kick out of this from Hillary's email: "I'll pick up the groceries before you get there." Yeah, right ...
Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying make sure it actually is a lottery if you are going to make a pro-poker argument based on it being a lottery. You are 0 for 2 so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is advertised as a lottery and if Hillary wants to respond "Well read the fine print" then so be it. I think there is some validity to the argument about political stance, but of course it wouldn't hold up in court that Hillary's is legal, so poker needs to be.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 PM

And what do you call a 'contest' where you enter and the winner is drawn at random?

as to 0 for 2, no.

Going back to Obama, even IF, and it was not a consideration, your personal story was a choice criteria, the fact remained, you HAD to donate to enter, so either way.

As to Hillary, maybe, maybe not, even after clicking the e-mail link there is no mention of 'FREE', not until you go to another page nor is it in the initial e-mail, she really has no intention of promoting a 'FREE' dinner, only a 'PAID' dinner and one that will come from proceeds of donations to pay the winning award with.

Perhaps we will let her play the Bill card in this, what is, is or what ever that odd difference was he hung his, er, never mind.

obg
Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going back to Obama, even IF, and it was not a consideration, your personal story was a choice criteria, the fact remained, you HAD to donate to enter, so either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way what? A lottery requires entry fee + chance drawing + prize. If there is no chance drawing with the Obama dinner, which is likely, then there is no lottery. And the point you are trying to make is dependent on there being a donation lottery. So your point is moot.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Moot? There was 1 criteria - make a donation.
The page, and you read it too, stated, Your Story 'OPTIONAL'.
So, an entry fee and a selection from those entering.
And how was a selction made, there would only be one way since there were no other criteria.

Here, again, is the Obama page, note that there are NO criteria except the donation, selection method not mentioned.
https://donate.barackobama.com/page/...ce=20070607_ND

NOTE: Page updated and reads:
Our Dinner for Five fundraising drive is now closed. If you did not make a donation before 11:59 pm EDT on Wednesday, June 13, you are not eligible for this effort.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way what? A lottery requires entry fee + chance drawing + prize. If there is no chance drawing with the Obama dinner, which is likely, then there is no lottery. And the point you are trying to make is dependent on there being a donation lottery. So your point is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moot? There was 1 criteria - make a donation.
The page, and you read it too, stated, Your Story 'OPTIONAL'.
So, an entry fee and a selection from those entering.
And how was a selction made, there would only be one way since there were no other criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh ... No. I can't believe I have to say this, but is it possible they would only choose from those who shared a "story", with the selection criteria being demographics and "stories" that demonstrate Obama's diverse appeal?

You seem to have an analytical blind spot when it comes to these supposed campaign lotteries. You may want to focus on other issues.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahhhh ... No. I can't believe I have to say this, but is it possible they would only choose from those who shared a "story", with the selection criteria being demographics and "stories" that demonstrate Obama's diverse appeal?

You seem to have an analytical blind spot when it comes to these supposed campaign lotteries. You may want to focus on other issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the actual issue is online wagering.

It really is no different than the Class Action pending in California(?) over the NBC show Deal / No Deal. Yes, you can enter free however, the ads stress paying. In these 2 cases (one paying an only option no matter the selection criteria) and the other entry the primary and advertised entry method is paying.

No where do I read in the online lottery section of UIGEA or other gambling laws it is ok to accept paid entries as long as you also accept free ones.

Even Mccain violated the Amateur Sports Protection Act last spring, NO lotteries may be offered with prizes on Amateur Sports. He ran a 64 Team Bracket Contest for prizes as part of his campaign. You had to beat him in the contest and if so you won hats and shirts if I rember correctly.

Really, the point is, what is good for the goose SHOULD be good for the gander. Gambling, is, well, gambling.

I do not see the DoJ cutting slack to NT, BoS, WSEX and others off shore, so why should the presidental candidates get one?

Heck, we play poker, a 'contest' by the NJ ruling (SNG's / MTT's), the above do not even meet that liberal reading.

obg
Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack but...the Obama "lottery" is why I'm all done with financial contributions to candidates this cycle. I'm not saying I expected to get dinner with him, I was just under the impression that I had a chance. Following the TR of the dinner it was very clear that I (along with thousands of others) did not.

I can't imagine that this Hillary Dinner is going to be much different. With that in mind make your picks.

I'll take:
Black, middle-aged male/against the war/has a son in Iraq on second tour (3 units)

Hedging with:
Minority female student/preferably Louisiana college (assuming Bill is not close by) (1 unit)