Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Default The fold i almost made

I was in ac playing 2-5, and had about 750 infront of me. The game is playing pretty loose, but nothing crazy. Neway onto the hand.
Im in middle position and pick up AKs, unfortunatly a very tight conservative player bets out 30 UTG, it folds around to me and i call, only the BB calls. The flop comes Q A A and im thinking i hit gold. UTG fired out 30, i smooth call and the BB folds. The turn Comes a Jack, with no flush draw out. UTG checks to me and i bet 75, he raises to 175 and i call. The river is a blank and he fires out 250.......
I thought for a few mins, and deep down i knew i couldnt beat ne hands he would raise UTG, unless he was bluffing with KK, all hands he could have are QQ,JJ,AQ,AJ,AK, well i thought fora long time and threw the money in while deep down knowing i was beat. THis has been killing me for days, while at the table i thought about the hand, and i came to the conclusion i was beat and still called. I had been taking a beating all day n just got so frustrated n made a bad call. Just curious how u guys play this hand , and if u do nething diff(The guy had QQ and flopped a boat)
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: The fold i almost made

Three bet preflop.

Raise the flop.

As played you can't fold the river, and turn seems fine, but these actions would be different had you built the pot on earlier streets. You are losing boatloads of equity in Atlantic City by not raising this flop when worse Aces are out there (you saw the flop three way)
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM

This is one of those hands where you can get it right when you're answering a quiz question, but the hand looks too good in real life so it's hard to lay down.

The fact is, the flop wasn't all that great for you. You're either way ahead or way behind (or occasionally splitting the pot.) Your opponent won't play a big pot with you when you're ahead, and you obviously don't want to play a big pot with him when you're behind. It sux.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in ac playing 2-5, and had about 750 infront of me. The game is playing pretty loose, but nothing crazy. Neway onto the hand.
Im in middle position and pick up AKs, unfortunatly a very tight conservative player bets out 30 UTG, it folds around to me and i call, only the BB calls. The flop comes Q A A and im thinking i hit gold. UTG fired out 30, i smooth call and the BB folds. The turn Comes a Jack, with no flush draw out. UTG checks to me and i bet 75, he raises to 175 and i call. The river is a blank and he fires out 250.......
I thought for a few mins, and deep down i knew i couldnt beat ne hands he would raise UTG, unless he was bluffing with KK, all hands he could have are QQ,JJ,AQ,AJ,AK, well i thought fora long time and threw the money in while deep down knowing i was beat. THis has been killing me for days, while at the table i thought about the hand, and i came to the conclusion i was beat and still called. I had been taking a beating all day n just got so frustrated n made a bad call. Just curious how u guys play this hand , and if u do nething diff(The guy had QQ and flopped a boat)

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, post this in full ring.

Check behind on the turn. Against a tight UTG PFRer what worse hands will call? The worse hands in his range are TT, KK, ATs, but those are a small fraction to start, and mostly fold to your bet. If you are called or raised, you are behind drawing thin. Now that you check behind, villain will bet a wider range of hands on the river (such as those mentioned + other crap he was cbetting with) and you can likely call.

Note that you are asking the wrong question here: the raise put you in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation-- the turn bet is the issue. PNL addresses hands like this one.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious how u guys play this hand , and if u do nething diff

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters I would have posted the question in a forum for strategy, rather than a forum which discusses general B&M issues. Please read the FAQ.

Thread locked.
Closed Thread