Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:30 AM

Default PLO8 MTT - A23Tr in BB facing a raise

Stars 9:30 PM Donkament. Villain has shown good post-flop judgement, coming out ahead with marginal hands. My notes on this player read as follows:

PLO8 utg pr @30 w/? HU J38r flop and bets on AA89ssA
raised A347 MP to 3BB @30
calls PR @150 w./2358ds

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t75/t150
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3079
UTG+1: t3283
MP1: t4841
CO: t3415
Button: t6171
SB: t1435
Hero: t6744

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t450</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t675)</font>.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t975, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t975</font>, Hero ...

q1) Preflop call was obv?
q2) Calling the flop bet is okay, marginal, or bad?
q3) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting two pair on the turn (with NLD, obv)
Q4) if calling the flop, what's the line on hitting the flush with NLD?
q5) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting the flush with a high card?
EDIT Q6) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting a low card that doesn't improve hero's hand otherwise?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: PLO8 MTT - A23Tr in BB facing a raise

I may not be good but my opinion,

q1) standard
q2) hate call because makes hand tough to play but depends on if opponent will bet any turn
q3)I go for check raise for value if he bets often enough in this spot.
q4 and 5) These are why I raise flop, I guess check raise if possible either way since he is pot committed I believe with stack sizes.
q6) lead out for pot.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Here are my thoughts...not really sure how good my line(s) are though, so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

1. yes, standard

2. marginal - I'd be more inclined to fold b/c the pot could get really large and it's an ok hand OOP.
could be villian c-betting, might have over pair(aces)
higher flush draw/top 2/wrap broadway draw are possibilities too
less likely - nld (with possible pair) since villain seems to play a wide range of hands

A. Ac - pot it/call all-in
B. any other ace - not really sure - is check/call the right line?
-&gt; could be behind to broadway, but have outs to wheel (4), a boat (4), or at least a low (12).
C. any other 3 or 2 - check/call turn;

4. low card for flush - check/call turn/river

5. high card for flush - based on opponent's action, hard to know if you're drawing dead in this spot with such a low flush; I'd probably save my chips -&gt; check/fold to PSB

6. check/call to river; flush draw is nice to backdoor for high, but not sure if it's good;
-&gt; my line for #6 seems conservative...is that standard?

In any of these turn scenarios (assuming call with 2925 in pot on turn), is a blocking bet a good idea in this scenario (say for 1500?)? Is there a time to ever do this, or is it just bad b/c you're inflating the pot for an all-in reraise? Or are the stakes too low to try this type of move?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Check raise pot on the flop. Preflop call is standard.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 PM

pf call is std. u can pf as well
c/r flop ai. You are way ahead of his range right now. Against AAxxcc is the only hand ur really worried about. If he has AA here you have a lot of outs including backdoor outs. and if he doesnt have it he will fold enough for you to take this down.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Frank - I think you are probably ahead after this flop.<ul type="square">If MP1 only has one ace, even the ace of clubs, plus three random cards, you're roughly almost a 2:1 favorite.

If MP1 has a pair of aces, AsAhXY, with XY random, you're ahead about 58:42.

If MP1 has a pair of aces, AcAsXY or AcAhXY, with XY random, you're slightly behind (49:51).

MP1 doesn't necessarily have any of those hands and he could have flopped a set. If he flopped a set, or even two pairs with jacks on top, he's the favorite.

If MP1 flopped the nut flush draw (Ac6cXY) he's the favorite, but not by much (48:52).

All in all, mostly I think you have to worry about MP1 having flopped a set, and if so, you're in trouble. MP1 could have the perfect hand for this flop against you (Ac2d3dJc). But that's not likely.[/list]I don't know how you guys can stand this game, pot limit. The pressure I feel just trying to put myself in your shoes and figure things out is enormous. But I think you have to suck in your gut and check-raise with your hand after this flop.

I'm not sure about the amount. Might look less like the sort-of-semi-bluff it is if you raised half of his remaining stack, rather then putting MP1 all-in. I'd want to raise enough so that MP1 would seriously consider folding and at least wouldn't re-raise all-in. But since I don't know MP1, I don't know what that might be.

[ QUOTE ]
q1) Preflop call was obv?

[/ QUOTE ]I like the call.[ QUOTE ]

q2) Calling the flop bet is okay, marginal, or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]If you play on after the flop, I think a raise is better than a call.[ QUOTE ]
q3) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting two pair on the turn (with NLD, obv)

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know what "NLD, obv" means. You make two pairs or a set on the turn 11/45 (but you already know that).[ QUOTE ]

Q4) if calling the flop, what's the line on hitting the flush with NLD?

[/ QUOTE ]I still don't know what NLD means. Maybe "no low draw"? If so, four cards (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) make you a baby flush with no low draw. I guess that would be about 10 to 1 against (41:4)[ QUOTE ]

q5) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting the flush with a high card?

[/ QUOTE ]Same as above. Against four random cards, I think Hero is about 9:2 to have a high win if clubs come in.[ QUOTE ]

EDIT Q6) If calling the flop, what's the line on hitting a low card that doesn't improve hero's hand otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]All low cards improve Hero's hand, except a four. (Some are better than others). 3*3+4*4 = 25, but five of those are clubs. That's out of 45 possibilities.

Looks to me like it takes more than courage to play this game pot limit. Looks to me like you have to enjoy the thrill of taking risks. I take risks while gambling, but I don't enjoy them. It's no fun for me to take a hammering out of position. I think you have to try to dish back - and if you do this very much in a tournament, you're out on your ear.

Buzz
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM

NLD= nut low draw
Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NLD= nut low draw

[/ QUOTE ]neverforgetlol - Thanks.

Buzz