Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Default first posted hands in ~ 9 months - go easy on me

I've been away from online poker for about 9 months - I used to play 50NL until dec 2006, I just started again at 25NL. So here are two hands from my first session in almost a year, critique away:

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $24.25
Hero (BB): $29.15
UTG: $31.05
MP: $56.50
CO: $28.85
BTN: $11.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $1.25</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.00

Flop: ($2.60) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2.00</font>, Hero calls $2.00

Turn: ($6.60) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

River: ($16.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $12.00</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $12.00 returned to CO

Pot Size: $16.60 ($0.80 Rake)

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $23.50
BB: $63.45
Hero (UTG): $44.10
CO: $26.60
BTN: $8.30

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $0.75, <font color="red">BB raises to $6.00</font>, Hero calls $5.15, SB folds

Flop: ($12.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($12.85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, BB calls $8.00

River: ($28.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Pot Size: $20.85 ($1 Rake)
Old 09-04-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Re: first posted hands in ~ 9 months - go easy on me

Here's how I would have played it. I'm not saying it's any better...

First, I wouldn't have called with the QJs. It's just too difficult to play out of position against someone who is raising you. You'd really have to flop a monster to get any money out of the hand. If you just hit a pair there's a chance you're outkicked, and your out of position so it's makes for a difficult decision if the guy adds presure.

But assuming I call I'd probably try and take control of the betting. I often like to bet out on draws to control my own pots odds (assuming he doesn't raise) or to win the pot right there. It also disguises your hand if you do hit.

Against a raise I'd have to think about it but probably fold.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 AM

These hands are both spew,

Raise teh first one, on the flop and the turn

and bet the second one, check fold turn and/or riv
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM

In hand 1 I can see a case for leading on the flop and hoping for a raise or check-raising. I don't like check-calling. You have a big hand.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 AM

Why am I so afraid of the raise? Should I be?

Edit:

You're most likely favorite on the flop. Get as many chips in the pot as you can.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM

ya i guess we're a small favourite against AK but since i know ill get paid off if i hit is it so bad to just pay until i hit and give up if i miss on the river like i did? i posted the hand because i figured ppl would say bet/3bet or something similar, but is it ever ok to play a big draw slow? or should i always be pushing those combo draws?

as for the second hand... do we really like a flop bet? him flopping a set of aces and trapping seems just as likely as kings (which's what i put him on when he checked on the turn, but i was still undecided on the flop whether it was aces kings or jacks)
Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 AM

I mainly agree with Ashey here: fold the first one pf, and c/r the flop. But I wouldn't raise the turn, when he bets it again I guess there isn't much he'll fold and not many worse hands will call (gutshots??).
For the second one: I think I'd bet the flop once and then be done with the hand.

btw: what's villains range for making such large 3bets pf - KK+/AK or strange holdings ~JTs etc.??
Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 AM

w/ no read i was putting him on JJ, KK, AA or AKs (maybe a tiny tiny chance of AKo, but not much), which's why I waited until the second check to fire what was essentially a bluff with my queens - i figured he either had me crushed or was afraid of the ace on the board.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 AM

Hand 1: I donk or checkraise flop.

Hand 2: Standard.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Hand 1: Cold-calling 5xBB from the big blind kinda sucks with QJs. If your read is that CO is opening light (although 5xBB is a little unusual/suspicious), you can 3 bet here sometimes, unless he's just too laggy/spewy. As played, I like a lead-bet followed by all in if he raises you. If he check-calls flop, you can CRAI on the turn. You have a ridiculous number of likely outs, but they're not very concealed, so calling down will net you few implied odds and your equity plummets on the turn when he ~pots it into you.

Hand 2: Reads on the BB? If he's not out of line, feels like he has KK here (or a horribly played set if he's a super donk.) Get to showdown as cheaply as possible. If you're determined to rep the A, I'd guess at least two largish bullets are required (and/or a river shove), it's very risky, you need a great read to try it, etc. I just keep checking it back to him.