Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

Dodger:

Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM

If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times. You can set the shock to a level that is mostly just uncomfortable and won't actually hurt the dog. My hound dog is a big baby (90+ lbs) and I got her the collar for small <10 lbs dogs (had to attach it to a bigger collar) and it worked great. After a couple months I took the collar off and she never leaves the yard zone even when another dog is walking by. I work a 40 hour week and she gets lonely but I keep plenty of toys around for her to play with while I am gone. The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times. You can set the shock to a level that is mostly just uncomfortable and won't actually hurt the dog. My hound dog is a big baby (90+ lbs) and I got her the collar for small <10 lbs dogs (had to attach it to a bigger collar) and it worked great. After a couple months I took the collar off and she never leaves the yard zone even when another dog is walking by. I work a 40 hour week and she gets lonely but I keep plenty of toys around for her to play with while I am gone. The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, while you're at it, just get an invisible dog! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM

That is what I had before I set up the fence. I would let her out and, poof, she would disappear.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try filling the Kong with peanut butter and freeze it overnight and give it to the dog. They love it and that keeps 'em busy for quite a while as well.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM

Yes, dogs get lonely. Ideally you should have a yard for them to run in and a second dog to keep them company if, like most people, you're out for 8+ hours a day. However, leaving them lonely in a doggie box for that time, while kind of crappy IMO, is way better than them getting murdered by the pound.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dodger:

[/ QUOTE ]

This dog is really cute Borodog. I like how his tail looks like a fox's tail and his ears look like a fox's ears. I like the red color of the coat. I want this dog.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 AM

I have a Boston Terrier that turns 7 tomorrow. I was never big on the crating while Im gone thing. Im trying to remember how it all started though as I didnt leave him with free reign right away.

I think it started with the crate, then I just kept him in the bathroom, then alone in the house if I was going to be gone a short period of time and gradually increasing his responsibility until he had no restrictions

im pretty sure he just sleeps on the couch all day, but at least he has the option to move to a cool spot
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given this a lot of consideration. I might invest in one. When you first trained your dog did you have to walk with it close to the fence and then run to the center of the yard to sort of teach it? That's what one of my friends at work told me. She said you have to work with them so they know to run towards the center of your yard if they get shocked.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Boston Terrier that turns 7 tomorrow. I was never big on the crating while Im gone thing. Im trying to remember how it all started though as I didnt leave him with free reign right away.

I think it started with the crate, then I just kept him in the bathroom, then alone in the house if I was going to be gone a short period of time and gradually increasing his responsibility until he had no restrictions

im pretty sure he just sleeps on the couch all day, but at least he has the option to move to a cool spot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is sort of what I'm thinking too cpitt. I'm thinking I would start the dog in a crate but gradually get to where I allow him to roam about. Once when I was watching my boyfriend's dog I left for work. I came back a few minutes later because I forgot something and I found the big guy laying on his back on my couch with his feet in the air! I was like "You have got some nerve mister!". He knows he's not allowed on my couch because he doesn't have a pleasant odor. He sort of slunk off and went and laid down on the carpet giving me those guilty dog eyes.