Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: SHall i buy Arnold's book?
YES 23 74.19%
NO 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: NLDS: Game 1: Rockies at Phillies

Mondo,

Chris Speier was a journeyman player so they no doubt moved a lot before settling in Phoenix after his career.

I too noticed their birthplaces being different, but they're several years apart in age (this is why in high school when I went over to his house I thought I remembered a younger brother but we didn't interact with him much...maybe younger sister. Hmmm.).

I see Justin from time to time in the offseason. He's been on the wagon for years and really takes care of himself. He probably had a pretty big problem with booze and/or drugs some time ago, I don't ask. It's funny, for a few years there he would play pickup ball with us with absolutely reckless abandon, Aaron Boone-style. His specialty was putting his head down and driving to the hoop every single time he touched the ball. So not a great teammate but a really nice guy.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Wow, I didn't know Justin was Chris' kid. I remember Chris from my childhood, but more from the Expos than from his other clubs. That's cool.

Anyway, Wikipedia mentions him being Justin's dad, but no reference to Ryan, and given Ryan's age (born in '78 or '79) and birthplace, vis-a-vis Chris being an Expo for 3 years by then), it's probably a safe bet that Justin's younger sibling wasn't Ryan.

That's pretty cool you hang with Justin on occasion. Obviously, I don't know him from Adam personally, but he was always a class act with the Rox, during some of their worst years. Hell, if we still had him, we wouldn't have had that trainwreck Julio on our roster this year, possibly.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, Wikipedia mentions him being Justin's dad, but no reference to Ryan, and given Ryan's age (born in '78 or '79) and birthplace, vis-a-vis Chris being an Expo for 3 years by then), it's probably a safe bet that Justin's younger sibling wasn't Ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good research. Maybe they're cousins or something. Speier is an unusual enough name that two of them in MLB at the same time and not being related seems...unusual.

Chris is in ridiculously good shape and when Justin played pickup Chris often played with him. Even in his 50s he could get up and down the court as well as most people half his age, and he was strong as hell. I don't know why he moved here, but it probably had something to do with the Triple-A Giants affiliate being in Scottsdale at the time, as I think he wrapped up his career with the Giants and maybe took a job with the Firebirds.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least the Philles found out what is it like to play a team that wants to beat them. Not so easy is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM

oooh snap... I can smell tuq's humble pie in the oven...
Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 AM

Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It must be miserable to play for the Phillies. They go on a great run to win the division and then they get booed like crazy because they lose in the playoffs.

Obviously, I wouldn't be happy if my team lost the first two at home, but [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Phillies didn't win the division. the Mets lost it. There is a huge difference here.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It must be miserable to play for the Phillies. They go on a great run to win the division and then they get booed like crazy because they lose in the playoffs.

Obviously, I wouldn't be happy if my team lost the first two at home, but [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Phillies didn't win the division. the Mets lost it. There is a huge difference here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Douchebag,

The Phillies closed the season 13-4. That is a pretty nice run to win the division.

Also: 1) The Phillies should have let the tarp blow off of Adolf Coors Field and smothered some of you holier-than-thou fans.

2) Your "Evangelical" team is lame

3) Your mascot is totally gay.

4) You couldn't even sell out your play in game.

Also, of course fans are going to boo. We booed Manuel pulling Kendrick, a prescient boo if I have heard one, and we booed Jose Mesa. Jose has an ERA over 7, and couldn't throw a strike.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please...