Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: mass effect

I asked Ashley if she'd kiss me if I ordered her to and she said it was against Alliance regulations and she'd have to report me and then relieve me of command. Even in video games I get rejected. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My overall impression so far is that this hasn't really lived up to the hype - which isn't to say that it's not a great game by any means. It just has a lot of design flaws, stuff that has pretty much all been mentioned in this thread. On their own they're pretty minor but the number of them add up to keep the gaming experience from being completely seamless.

BioWare will probably do a good job of addressing them by the time the next one comes out though.

I've done about 10 hours and I've done maybe 1/2 the side quests (almost all the ones on the Citadel, just a couple off-world), Artemis Tau, and am in the middle of Noveria. Seems like the game won't be quite Oblivion-length, but is definitely pretty meaty.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Goofy, I noticed you picked Inflitrator as well. I noticed on gamespots guide that its not recommended to pick a tech player, but I haven't had any issues. My pistol works pretty damn well, and being able to snipe has helped me for sure on several levels.

Whenever I do this again, I am thinking of trying a vanguard, because Biotic/Combat seems best IMO.

Also, I agree with you on some of the glitches, a tad annoying. However I have gotten use to them, so they don't bother me much, but I whenever I go play something like Halo3 or CoD4 then go back, it will probably bug the [censored] out of me.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM

I like my choice so far. Why would you not pick a tech character, because you can just take the Quarian or Garrus with you instead and get the same bonuses? The pistol and sniper rifle are great.

(fwiw, when you're interacting with some object out in the field, then the highest skill of anyone in your party is used, instead of just Shepherd's, right?)

Also, one other thing that irritates me is when enemies rush you in combat. You're supposed to utilize the whole cover thing, but when some dude runs up to you then cover is entirely irrelevant and it feels like a clunky FPS (not to mention that leaving your cover to fight the up close dude exposes you to everyone else shooting at you).
Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 PM

Goofy thats why you gotta jack them up w/ singularity, lift, throw, or stasis before they get in close. Doesn't hurt when you know a battle is ahead to position your guys in cover, run out w/ barrier up and draw them back to your position.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm also playing as an infiltrator and loving it. The sniper rifle is just so much fun and really useful. Something neat that took me a little while to find out is that when you have the sniper equipped and are in combat mode hugging a wall, when you pop out from behind the wall - there's no 'floating' of your scope. It's smooth and ready to shoot. Makes it easy and fun to use the sniper even in mid/semi-close combat.

Also, when guys rush in - if you shoot at point blank range, you do a mellee which often knocks them down. And like RiverFenix said, the singularity/left/etc also do a great job of getting them away from you as well.

The only thing that has me down in this game is that the items seem to scale to your level and are very generic (at least from what I've seen). It's not like you can go on some super hard side quest and pick up a cool unique item. You'll just Scorpion Armor version 5, 6 or whatever depending on your level. Will have to play more to see if this stays true, but so far there's very little creativity in the type of items/rewards you can get.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM

why didn't anybody tell me that you need the 1mio credits to unlock spectre gear? no more turning stuff into omni gel
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Eh, omni gel does come in handy, plus you get [censored] for selling stuff. My personal opinion, you are probably better off doing side quests and surveying for minerals/gasses.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 PM

I couldnt resist and started again w/ old character. Wow renegade is so much more fun. Already knocked out a scientist and pulled a gun on the farmers and just 5 min into Eden Prime.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM

just got the 1mio credits chievement by selling stuff
Old 11-28-2007, 11:57 PM

just finished the last mission, ending is ok but i was expecting some fallout style end showing the consequences of your decisions, didn't happen :/