Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Ruling needed, I feel dirty (Winstar obv)

In sum,

Player goes to showdown in a 5-10 NL game on a A-9-5-5-2 board and bets the river and gets called. Doesn't want to turn his hand over, says "ace is good, I have kings". Other player tables T-9, angleshooter mucks w/ obv bit of embarrassment.

Later on it's a multiway raised pot PF, flop comes A-J-9 w/ flush draw, PF raiser bets $60 into $120, angleshooter shoves AI for $220, and the action is on me. I'm counting out a raise and literally two seconds after he shoves, he's standing up holding his cards in his hands (but protecting it from being seen) and tells the player next to him he has top two, in a way that was obvious he wanted everyone to know but didn't want everyone to know he wanted them to know. I have top two- I iso-raise to get it HU w/ the angleshooter who tables A3.

He did this 4 times in a few hours yesterday, in various forms and at various times during the hand.

And seeing how desperate I was to play cards this weekend- WINSTAR (ugh, i feel dirty) floor couldn't give a ruling, didn't know what to say, played both sides of the fence, and then gave the table a warning when the player who was doing this was gone to get money. Yes, she came up and heard the inquiry, then didn't give an answer, then announced "this is a blanket warning for table 43" when the angleshooter had gone to the ATM. Lawl.

Anyways, how should a good floor deal with this angleshooter?

Interesting observation from the table yesterday: Player 1 is out of position to player 2, and player one has not acted yet. Player 2 announces "bet $150" with chips in hand, then Player 1 and the dealer tell her that the action is still on Player 1, who, plays fast and wasn't delaying in his action, nor did he make any move to indicate he had checked, i.e., it was Player 2's fault. Player 1 wants to know if that bet is binding if he checks, dealer doesn't know. I'm sitting next to him and tell him action out of turn is binding, but the floor was nearby so the dealer asked the four foot four floor (lol, couldn't not use that alliteration) and his reaction was one of confused-on the spot-oh [censored] what do I say body language followed by "Maybe one time we give warning, but second time may be different".

Solid.

The other amusing incidents were a dealer telling me to take my ipod off the rail, where it had been for the past five hours, in front of the floor and all the other dealers. And she was totally serious.

I had to pay the big blind twice b/c the dealer didn't move the button. The dealer had dealt almost all the hands, I objected before the deal then stopped him again to alert him to this but someone had already called, and he told me the floor would rule that there was already action and that if I really wanted my money back he'd give it to me "out of his own pocket". I let it go.

I went to bet $50 on the river and crossed the betting line with $60 in my hand and the dealer made me put the extra $10 out there. I love how they try to protect from one possible angleshoot but are totally [censored] struck as to how to approach the completely obvious and more rampant ones.

Also, the $1 bad beat jackpot drop- it doesn't go to the house or the players, not a dime. Yes, they have a bad beat jackpot, but it's not funded by that $1, not a single red cent of it. Basically, someone counts how much money they made and makes some sort of adjustment to the jackpot, but, yesterday it was at $10,000 iirc and on a busy weekend like this one, it's pretty easy for them to kick out 20,000 hands per day, which is essentially 22 tables running for 24 hours straight, or any combination of 40, 30, 20, and 10 tables that totals the same. I'd say that 10% of it might be matched by the house for the players. And I dont care if the house doesn't get that money, i.e., that money winds up in the hands of state organizations so there can be gambling in hick [censored], OK, the house still gets credit for producing that income for the state, thus lessening their burden, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

-Tex