Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Default I think I\'m turning into a Neoconservative

Currently I am supporting Ron Paul because of the foreign policy issues. However, lately I have questioning it. There seems to a lot of people saying Iran is really not a threat to The United States. Ron Paul consistently says something in the Republican debates that I really do not agree with. He says that Russia had 40,000 nukes and nothing happened then, and now we are scared of a country just getting one. Well, Russia knew of mutual destruction. Iran does too, but the problem is the nuke will not come from them but from a terrorist group not wearing Iranian colors.

When you look at the status of Iran, it really is a threat to us. Here's one video on Youtube, which looks like it aired on an Iranian news station. The country's leaders are rooted in Anti-semitism. John Haggee came out with his movie Obsession a while back, and while I understand he probably has a motive since he is a huge Evangelical Zionist with unwavering support for Israel, it's scary. Memri has so many videos of hate for Jews and the West. People come on their news channels and talk about the old propoganda book The Protocols of the Elders of Zion which Hitler made required reading in schools when he came to power.

Ron Paul thinks that there is blowback and that is the reason the Middle East want to kill us all. A lot of people think Islamofacism is some kind of myth when clearly it is not. I am really starting to question if we pull out completely if it will change anything. Yes, they are pissed at us because we put troops on the Holy Land and of our support of Israel. But the radical leaders of their states constantly show anti-Jew and American propoganda and want to spread Islam on us. If we pull out like Ron Paul wants to and let Iran develop nukes, it could be disastrous. Islamofacism is real and their radical leaders simply hate the West and if we dropped all foreign aid to Israel I don't think it would change a bit unless we were no longer the world's only leading superpower.

Here's a good quiz I took yesterday that tries to determine if you are a Realist, a Neoconservative, etc, and what past people like Wilson or Roosevelt would have been during our time.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: I think I\'m turning into a Neoconservative

Oops, the correct link to the quiz is here . Out of the four possible choices I was a Realist.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 PM

I guess it just depends if you think that the majority of American money should be spent to try to "contain" the radical fringe. There's scary people everywhere, man. They aren't limited to "Islamofacists" or the Middle East.

I'm MUCH more afraid of our government than terrorists.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you afraid of any of them? What are you afraid of?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean? afraid. i hear how people are afraid of terrorists, or the government, from the media, or from politicians from both sides of the aisle. all the time.

do you live you life differently because of this fear? are you really afraid, or just wary, or just using the common language of the day?

i don't see people fearful in everyday life.

i don't get this, and i'm not being sarcastic...

Bedreviter - you beat me to the punch. you already handled it while i was typing...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it just depends if you think that the majority of American money should be spent to try to "contain" the radical fringe. There's scary people everywhere, man. They aren't limited to "Islamofacists" or the Middle East.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. being afraid of our govt..retarded.

2. what is usually the catalyst of most of the recent major world conflicts (WW2, WW1, Civil War etc? money, power, or land, or persecution.

3. what is going to be the catalyst of a possible WW3? religion.

The rest of the world cant afford (well can, but doesnt want to) the cost of going to war/disruption of peace etc.

Money is the motivator, it wont be of the next war.

One thing my father taught me is that a pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold.

Carmine Lupertazzi
Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you afraid of any of them? What are you afraid of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'd say that I'm afraid of the government RIGHT NOW. I'm wary at the least, and see much greater potentional for problems in the future. Give a little, they take more. At least if terrorists get me, it'll be over quickly :-P
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean? afraid. i hear how people are afraid of terrorists, or the government, from the media, or from politicians from both sides of the aisle. all the time.

do you live you life differently because of this fear? are you really afraid, or just wary, or just using the common language of the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't live differently, other than researching other places to live. That phrase was relative though. I'm more afraid of drunk drivers than terrorists too. I'm more afraid of bees than terrorists. That doesn't mean that I live in fear of any of these things. But I think that the government has a higher chance of ruining my life than terrorists.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 PM

I tend to think that picking fights with people is a sure way to cause more animosity. You can't go all over the world fighting an ideology. Yeah there are "radical islamists", but they are a small percent of the religion. You could look at America as the "radical christians" attacking all these muslim countries, with the exact same arguments. Thousands of Americans were killed by islamists, but hundreds of thousands of them were killed by Americans. Just ponder that for a moment.

If we go into Afghanistan to do nation building, then Iraq, then Iran, then god knows where, I mean how is that any different than what rogue empires do? We have to look at what we do, from the perspective of others. Didn't we fight nazis and the japanese in world war 2 to stop this kind of behavior?

I mean how exactly are we going to win this war on terror? If you honestly think about it, there's only two ways. Invade practically every country in the world, or try and be friends and have peaceful relationships with them.

The more countries you invade, the more and more hostility you create, and more people are willing to commit acts of terrorism against you.

When crime happens, you deal with it accordingly. Pre-emptive strikes make no sense. If you leave them alone, they might attack you, or they might leave you alone. But if you attack them first, you KNOW FOR SURE they are going to attack you back.

If a country attacks another, there is some support from the people, and some opposition from the people. Some will join the fight, but some will oppose it. But when your country is being invaded by a foreign enemy, there near 100% support for the government/military to defend the borders, and people will rise up and fight. Those fighters are labeled as "terrorists", but wouldn't we all fight foreign invaders if they were marching on our streets?

And that's all you're going to get by attacking Iran. You're also going to get a draft, because Iran is 3 times the size of Iran, and we have enough trouble with recruitment. I wonder why.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 PM

I guess I'm the only one that is afriad of our government AND terrorists.

Islamofacism is real, terrorists hate us, many (if not most) in the middle east hate us and would like to see us either dead or an Islamic state.

That being said, I think it is possible and even likely that many in our current government are using this fear to push through legislation that is quit the opposite of the intentions of our founding fathers. Once we start down that slippery slope and start to sacrifice some of the freedoms we hold dear and allow the government to suspend or even eliminate the checks and balances which are the bedrock of the American form of government, then watch out people. If the Islamofacists don't get us, the Amero ones will.

Scary times indeed.