Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Some tough 2-7 spots.. Heres 1

Would like to get some more 2-7 discussion going... I'll try to think of a few tough spots I've been getting myself in lately. These spots may seem sort of minor to some of you but if you play a lot of on-line short handed 2-7 they come up a lot and will defintly have a big effect on your edge

Villain is II Brutto on stars. At first he was a huge spew tard and I demolished him, but he has adjusted pretty well to my ranges and I've been running below expectation the last few sessions we've played so he could buy himself a nice 1st class Caribbean cruise with my money. I only have 250 or so bets on stars so I decided to not play him HU if I can help it, but we've been playing 3-way a ton.

Anyways.. hes obviously very aggressive, but hes been playing his rough hands pretty well. Lets say hes in the SB and im in the BB with 235.. he raises i 3b, we both draw 2 and I hit 9x.. If he checks are you betting and drawing at this 9? If he leads into you, you call and he draws 1 are you keeping it or drawing 2? I sort of flip a coin if he checks, but he will call and than c/r me after the second draw with such a wide range of hands that I almost prefer to draw 2 again and have a better shot and making a solid hand. II brutto will almost never give up before the river if you 3b him predraw, and sometimes it's just easier on your nerves to keep the pot a bit smaller check and draw 2 at it again. What do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Some tough 2-7 spots.. Heres 1

he's been destorying me as well lately, almost to the tune of 10k HU. A few months back we were 3 tabling and I took him for a big number, and he's definitely adjusting+running hot. He's likely really confident this week because he's just been destroying it.

If he checks, you definitely draw to the 9 here, but obviously makes the swings with his style very huge. If you draw 2, he'll lead into you with many weak hands on the 2nd draw, so with hands like 235 I keep the 9, and non straight possible 3 card hands I might be more inclined to ditch the 9.

The value from him is if you can make a hand after the 2nd draw, you should be able to get 3 big bets virtually every time, since he's so aggressive with any draw or any jack.

I too thought of 3 betting less pre since like you say, he never goes away until the river if you do, and he tends to be much easier to read in the smaller pots.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM

The key to him I think is not to get into the habit of going crazy with 9's after the 2nd draw, because he won't adjust too well if you stick to just waiting for the big hands to go crazy with.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 AM

Anybody else? I cant make up my mind about this, ive been flipping a coin in my games today and it seems super close either way.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I too thought of 3 betting less pre since like you say, he never goes away until the river if you do, and he tends to be much easier to read in the smaller pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

IWTB - there is the adjustment. control the size of the pot and the hand plays itself. This opponent is riverbound, why make his decisions easier?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM

I wish I could give more solid advice, but I'm at a stage where I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to beat guys with a 100% pfr on the button hu.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM
 is offline

3 bet pre for value. Have to punish him for starting rough when you do have a hand. I rather check some of the time before last draw when a card ahead with 2359 then not 3 betting 235 pre against an "aggresive spew tard". Especially since you say you have position (game is not HU).

[ QUOTE ]
The value from him is if you can make a hand after the 2nd draw, you should be able to get 3 big bets virtually every time, since he's so aggressive with any draw or any jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep the 9 about ever time if he is so spewy and try to avoid putting in more than 2 big bets after 2nd draw.

[ QUOTE ]
c/r me after the second draw with such a wide range of hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Only the more reason to keep the 9? The rougher he pats/draws the better it is to draw to the 9.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM

are you guys keeping the 9 (2359x) frequently no matter who your opponent is when it goes 2:2 on the flop or ONLY the most aggressive ? What about with 2379x ?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 PM

only against the most aggro. Against really predictible opponnents I'll check and keep the 9 if he checks behind and draw 2 if he bets. the opponnent in this spot if you haven't played him is really crucial to the discussion.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. Against really predictible opponnents I'll check and keep the 9 if he checks behind and draw 2 if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking and drawing 1 if he checks it back is a disaster against nearly everyone who has any idea how to play this game. Very gross to tell them you have 9wwwx and than have a forced big bet into a 2 BB pot. Even some of your worst opponents will punish you for this everytime.