Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: torre \"officially\" managing for his job (again)?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned the most important part of the story. Steinbrenner thinks A-Rod is staying.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a zero percect chance of that happening. No way does Arod want to deal with all the crap he gets in NY anymore.

Chicago would be a place I'd like to see him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he just keep his current deal if he wants to stay in NY? I'm talking under the impression that he's opting out of his contract.
prop bet? give me odds?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Torre is fired within a week, A-Rod is a free agent in a month. Where he ends up is another matter...I don't think the chances of a new contract in NY are 0%, but they're very, very low.

I can't see the Yanks swallowing their pride and basically doubling A-Rod's salary (from the $15M they're paying now to $30M+ plus future ownership interest) after he "screwed" them by opting out. (Good business decision for him, awful consequences for NYY.)

As for the poster above who pooh-poohed the notion of him going to the NL - the DH is precisely why many players do sign in the NL. Other than cripples who can't play in the field, they all want to play defense. Many of the vets who do sign in the AL do so only after they get a promise they won't be turned into a full-time DH the second they arrive.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned the most important part of the story. Steinbrenner thinks A-Rod is staying.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a zero percect chance of that happening. No way does Arod want to deal with all the crap he gets in NY anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he just keep his current deal if he wants to stay in NY? I'm talking under the impression that he's opting out of his contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See here we have this thing called money. Under his current contract Arod can make about 80 million dollars. If he signs a new one, he could make 200 million. Maybe this is why he is opting out, to make 120 million more dollars (anywhere, including NY which is where I think he ends up)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

prop bet? give me odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you need any money for backing?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:08 PM

ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something.
Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore." But he would still talk to the team and if they approached him in the right way and with the right contract and he felt right about the situation and about the money he could end up doing it.

Just because he's getting older doesn't mean he's not even going to talk to an NL team and just throw-away any of those opportunities.
Look how long Bonds has lasted in the NL when he really should have been DH'ing. It can happen and isn't a big deal.

Would ARod be interested in going back to SS at least some of the time?
I would have to think this would be an attraction to him as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:13 PM

Arod going to the Cubs makes the most sense. It would be weird to see him in Boston, particularly given some of the bad blood there. LAA is possible I guess, but I just don't see it. Nobody else has the money.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something. Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore."

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod only DH'd four times this year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. His physique has changed a bit in the past four years. He's not as well suited to play shortstop. He could certainly do it. But, he'd have to make a lot of adjustments.

I think he'd prefer staying at 3rd and reaching 1,000 home runs.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ARod could go the NL but it would have to be the right opportunity like an LA or something.
Yeah, his first instinct would be to think about "geez, I don't get to DH anymore." But he would still talk to the team and if they approached him in the right way and with the right contract and he felt right about the situation and about the money he could end up doing it.

Just because he's getting older doesn't mean he's not even going to talk to an NL team and just throw-away any of those opportunities.
Look how long Bonds has lasted in the NL when he really should have been DH'ing. It can happen and isn't a big deal.

I would have to think this would be an attraction to him as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, he could also sign a deal where he can opt out again in 3 or 4 years and then return to the AL. (I don't think it's likely though)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arod going to the Cubs makes the most sense. It would be weird to see him in Boston, particularly given some of the bad blood there. LAA is possible I guess, but I just don't see it. Nobody else has the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

tigers ftw
Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Wouldn't A-Rod be moved to the outfield way before he ever becomes a DH? I would think he would be a + defensively in corner outfield.