Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Good Luck Hunters!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Deer dont know that they are being hunted ehh? Why is it that they run away from people then. Why is it that during hunting season they tend to move to areas where there is little to no hunting pressure?

As far as the whole fair argument goes. We have the ablity to make and use tools. That is our advantage. The animals have keener senses, and are swifter of foot than we. That is where their strengths lie.

Please do your reasearch before you make comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also seen many deer go up and over steep hills in about 15 seconds that would take any human at least a half hour to climb. I think they can defend themselves pretty well.

Also, for the people that think hunting is crule: It would be much more crule to let all the deer die because there were too many in one area and there was no food for them to eat. More deer would die each year without a hunting season that with one.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I hear a "pro-hunting" stance like this, it always revolves around the thesis that people hunt to supply food. This thesis is wrong, therefore your whole vegan spiel is way off base.

It's great that YOU has a hunter ate what you killed (at least it sounds that way) and as far as I know there's no real numbers out there, but talk to any hunter and you'll see just how many people kill for the sake of killing. Especially when it comes to small game, I always hear people talking about how they killed 12 pheasants or 10 ducks or whatever. These people aren't bringing these animals home to eat.

I used to hunt Grouse when I was younger but I haven't for years. Even as a former hunter though, with as many bad apples as there are out there, you have to respect the people who are against hunting. Only those who actually eat everything they kill are the only ones who have a right to say anything imo.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's great that YOU has a hunter ate what you killed (at least it sounds that way) and as far as I know there's no real numbers out there, but talk to any hunter and you'll see just how many people kill for the sake of killing. Especially when it comes to small game, I always hear people talking about how they killed 12 pheasants or 10 ducks or whatever. These people aren't bringing these animals home to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Small sample size. The hunters you know suck balls if it's true that they don't eat what they kill or donate it. There's not that much difference to me between hunting just to kill and the kid with the magnifying glass burning ants just because he can. FWIW, I've never met a hunter with that type of attitude.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Small sample size. The hunters you know suck balls if it's true that they don't eat what they kill or donate it. There's not that much difference to me between hunting just to kill and the kid with the magnifying glass burning ants just because he can. FWIW, I've never met a hunter with that type of attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, there are no real numbers out there. I was pretty big into hunting when I was young because my father was into it. So I was around hunters a lot in different situations. It's not like I only knew the same 3 drunks who shot everything that moved.

I have a really hard time believing that the norm is to eat what you kill though. It's great when people are that way and I don't have a single problem with those hunters.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a really hard time believing that the norm is to eat what you kill though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a harder time believing that it isn't the norm except possibly in cases like African safaris. Maybe it's my own sample size, but the idea is totally alien to me.

Maybe it's a regional thing? Where did you hunt?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always hear people talking about how they killed 12 pheasants or 10 ducks or whatever. These people aren't bringing these animals home to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myself and another guy shot over 75 ducks last year and every single one of them went into the freezer.(except the ones that were lost)

I have friends that go to the Dakotas every year pheasant hunting, and they bring home over 100 birds in less than a week. Every one gets eaten. At least around here, people would LOVE for you to give them a duck or pheasant if you don't have room in the freezer.

The only thing I shoot and don't eat are coyotes, but that is something else entirely. Before the PETA types go off, coyotes are a nuisance. They kill pheasants, small deer, chickens, and the occasional household pet.

Sure there are the "killers" out there, but just because someone bagged a large amount of birds, don't assume they won't be eaten. And the very few "killers" I know of don't waste the birds, they give them to other people to eat.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I hear a "pro-hunting" stance like this, it always revolves around the thesis that people hunt to supply food.

It's great that YOU has a hunter ate what you killed (at least it sounds that way) and as far as I know there's no real numbers out there, but talk to any hunter and you'll see just how many people kill for the sake of killing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iggy,

I'm not denying that they are out there (and I addressed this point in my second post) but I don't know any of them. I grew up in Northern Ontario about five hours north of Toronto where hunting is a BIG deal. I can confidently say that every hunter I know always has a freezer full of food to show for his efforts.

If you killed purely for sport and left the carcasses to rot you would have a very difficult time finding a hunting party that would take you in. Not to mention there are game wardens behind every tree up here.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. People are charged for poaching and hunting parties are sometimes nailed for having more meat than permitted in their freezers - but these people are by far the minority... up here anyway.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I shoot and don't eat are coyotes, but that is something else entirely. Before the PETA types go off, coyotes are a nuisance. They kill pheasants, small deer, chickens, and the occasional household pet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They kill these animals just for fun?

It's ironic that in a hunting thread a carnivore would be called a nuisance because it kills things. Yes! To punish this killer....WE MUST KILL IT!!

Also, by some peoples logic in this thread, the coyote is actually saving the deer from a painful and drawn out death by killing them early to keep the population down.

I was brought up to believe coyotes were an evil nuisance and killed my fair share of them and other *nuisance* animals (we used to beat every porcupine we came in contact with to death with sticks). After seeing them featured in a few documentaries I now see them as just another animal trying to make a hard living. They mate for life, are very loyal to their partners and pups and seem to be playful and fun loving when their bellies are full.

If you get the chance, check out the Nature show "Vally of the Wolves" on PBS. It's one of the best nature documentaries I have ever seen.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Archery season opened up September 1st and have been hunting ever since.

So Far:
With the Bow
Mule Deer doe

Rifle
Cow Elk
Buck Antelope
4X4 Whitetail Buck
Whitetail Doe

My wife's tally: All rifle
Cow Elk
Antelope Buck
Whitetail Doe (Last Night)

All of this was processed by me and is in our freezer or has been eaten already. We eat everything we kill with the only exception being meat that we share with other people who enjoy it or can really use it. The only exceptions are coyotes who are killed on sight but not eaten.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 PM

BCPVP,

Western to Central PA and parts of Eastern Ohio and West Virginia was the area that I hunted in.

Schwatt,

It's great that you actually ate them all, but where I'm from, that's WELL beyond your limit of birds. IMO, someone going over their limit is just as bad as someone who kills for the sake of killing. I don't know what the limits are for where you hunt though so I can't say anything about you.

In PA, it was 2 pheasants or 2 ducks a day was your limit. To go pheasant hunting, you had to go to a corn field that would be stocked by the gaming commission. Rarely are any pheasants wild in Western PA anymore. So it's just pretty much a slaugter on these birds. Not that I had a problem with that, but people would go out and kill a dozen or so, since it was so easy, leaving none for anyone else coming through at a later time. IMO, that's not what hunting is about.

Wires,

I'm pretty sure things in America are quite different than things in Canada. As much as I hate to admit it, Americans are greedy mofo's so it wouldn't surprise me to hear Canadians following rules and Americans breaking them.