Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 AM

Default River my Flush and madness breaks out

What would you do in this spot. I make my flush on the river and the PFR, who is 23/23/6 decides to push, and we're both deep stacked.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $50.00
BB: $41.90
UTG: $96.55
CO: $24.90
Hero (BTN): $96.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
BB calls $0.50, <font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $2.00, SB folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($6.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $4.50</font>, Hero calls $4.50, <font color="red">BB raises to $9.00</font>, UTG calls $4.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $28.00</font>, BB calls $19.00, UTG calls $19.00

Turn: ($90.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($90.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets all-in for $66.55</font>, Hero ????

I have $66 left (at NL 50).... do you call here?

Also, villains river aggression factor is an 8, but this kind of a bet is a little different than the rest.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: River my Flush and madness breaks out

Call the river bet, but why did you play your weak fd like that on the flop?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:08 AM

I think id call here...when you raise the flop like that you are committing yourself to the pot if a flush hits. Its only a 2/3 pot size bet even though 130BB, not a huge over bet compared to the pot.

Because the river was Ace of clubs rather then some other one, i feel a lot better about my hand. There are a lot less hands he could have that beat you. 23/23 isn't that loose, KcQc is obviously a concern but is he going to be raising Kc10c UTG? there just aren't many hands that beat you. Also the ace connects with a lot of hands making 2 pairs and other good hands. He could have AJ or A9.

He could simply be sensing weakness and trying to steal it, note the high river agg factor.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 AM

UTG clearly had something he liked on the flop to take all that heat (even on the installment plan). And it could be KcQc, but that's just one hand, and the turn check-through might have confused him.

I think you have to call, getting over 2:1. He could have a set (AA in particular, although it's possible he started to slowplay, say, JJ once he started getting played back at), and there really aren't many flushes besides KcQc that we'd expect him to have.

Still, I wouldn't actually be happy to be facing this push.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:13 AM

I think this is often a better flush, not saying i can fold but i am not happy.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're talking about the call/re-raise line I took on the flop?

Basically the call from the villain one meant draw to me, and the minraise, from the other villain was something that I saw him do earlier when he was unsure of himself. Sensing weakness from both, and having the betting re-opened, I tried to make it look like I had a monster with a semi-bluff re-raise. I figured if the villain who had position on me called, he would be almost out, so I wasn't worried about later streets with him. I had position on the big stack and figured if he called I might be able to get a free card on the turn if I needed it.

In the end, I kept both in, built the pot, and got my free card. Never mind the fact that a little fold equity never hurt anyone.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 AM

I ended up calling him, and he turned over 8c 10c and I lost. I had a feeling I was beat there also, but I was wondering if folding is ever proper in that spot. On an unpaired board, against someone that aggressive, especially as a PFR OOP, its hard to assume he was doing that with 2 clubs preflop, neither one an ace.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 AM

amazing flop for him then, a bit surprised he didnt try to get it in on the flop
Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're talking about the call/re-raise line I took on the flop?

Basically the call from the villain one meant draw to me, and the minraise, from the other villain was something that I saw him do earlier when he was unsure of himself. Sensing weakness from both, and having the betting re-opened, I tried to make it look like I had a monster with a semi-bluff re-raise. I figured if the villain who had position on me called, he would be almost out, so I wasn't worried about later streets with him. I had position on the big stack and figured if he called I might be able to get a free card on the turn if I needed it.

In the end, I kept both in, built the pot, and got my free card. Never mind the fact that a little fold equity never hurt anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rationale for the call/reraise seems good, but I do have a couple of counter-observations:

(1) If the PFR has a draw, like you suspect, then that's not good news for you unless you can drive him out (I mean, the most obvious draw on the flop is the flush draw).

(2) Quite likely, you paid more on the flop for your "free" card than you would have had to on the turn.

Folding equity is great, if you have it, but you do need it.

Nevertheless, getting called twice on the flop isn't such a horrible result either provided you're the only one with a flush draw and no one has a set.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 AM

i haven't read this entire thread, but i like your flop line a lot. however, i think you solidified your hand on the turn, as you would have bet out hard if you had a set or two pair given how draw heavy the board is.

as played, i think you 100% of the time have to push the turn. i did see the results, but i don't think it affects how i would play this. i think when both players flat call your raise on the flop, you can take them off a set, two pair, and an overpair. i have no idea what BB had that makes sense her besides Q10 or a heinously played QJ or KJ type hand (well Q10 is played heinously too). when they both flat call the flop i think you have to either give credit to one of the players for a better flush draw or at least give it strong consideration. with that said, pushing the turn here is perfect.

let me know what you all think, but here is my thinking behind the hand.

1) when they both flat call your raise on the flop, their range narrows drastically. unless these guys are total headcases, they aren't flat calling with 2 pair, an overpair, or a set. i can't see them calling with a pair really, as the only pairs that would be in the pot would be top pair or an overpair and their lines would have been different (fold / push).
2) when you hit the turn, as i said, i'd probably give you credit for the best hand here. i'm not saying put 100% weight on it, but i think given how it played out it was likely. you HAVE to push here. your stack isn't big enough compared to the pot to check, you destroy the set / 2 pair / overpair you were representing, and you're letting the draw at beating you, especially since it's likely your flush isn't good.
3) if one of the villains has totally played disgusting poker with a set or 2 pair here, that leaves one player that could have the flush draw, which lowers the probability one of them does. so you have redraw outs for sure.

yes, no?