Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:40 AM

Default LC: Jesse takes shot, brings luck box

This should probably be in the Low Content Thread, but I just had to create my own. This was freaking awesome.

Playing 6/12, up a little after starting off down 10 big bets, typical friday crowd. Then boom, back to back hands with QQ and QK on Queen high flops, I'm dragging monsters, and all of a sudden I'm up like 25 big bets. I'm due to leave for an airport pickup in an hour, and what do I hear? "Immediate seating, 15/30...." I take stock of my testicles and chips (finding 2 and 592 respectively) and take the last seat at the must move table.

First hand I post in the BB. Folds to the button, who raises. I've played him before....decidedly laggy. He also probably knows I've never played the 15 game. I pray to find 5 high, but no...A8o. I call only. Flop is KK7 two of my ace suite and I check/raise. He three bets (i decide right there he's got no king) and I call, planning to probably call down if the board stays low. Turn is an 8, river a 2, he bets both streets, I call, and he throws his hand in the muck without showing. Would I have called down had I not paired my 8? The world will never know.

About 4 hands later I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in lp and raise it up after two limpers. 5 to the flop with two hearts, blind bets, one call, I raise and of course turn my nut flush. The catch is that an EP guy flopped a set of 3s, and he put in 5 bets on the big streets without filling up. I also raise KQs and win the pot despite an ace flopping, and flop trip 4s from the bb with 94o (the same guy who had the set of threes pays me 3.5 big bets to show down his deuces...i loved that guy).

So anyway, after an hour I'm sitting with 2.5 racks in front of me and am just stunned.....the flight is late, but I move back down to 6/12 and go through the motions for an hour. I'll remember it for the rest of my poker career [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: LC: Jesse takes shot, brings luck box

Nice one !! Congrats !!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Way to go Jess. I had a similar experience my fifth or so time after starting live limit (having been a SSHE student of the game before then). Seems now like every middle PP I had that night came good with a set and I took the punters to the cleaners for 50 BB or so at 4/8. Good work.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM

That's awesome, Jesse.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 PM

GG son. Wish I could say the same when I moved up to a new limit. Every first shot I lsot a bit but the very next times had modest winners.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 PM

congrats, Jesse.

I know the feeling.

My "usual" game, whenever I make it up to the Taj (very rare) is 10/20. Towards the end of a long session, the last 10 game broke. My train didn't leave for another couple of hours, and I asked the floor what else they had. He said "I've got 5/10 and 20/40 -- 20's probably closer to what you want."

I was down 15 bets or so and not really in the mood to play higher for the first time, but for whatever reason (not wanting to look like a p*ssy, perhaps?) I told him I'd take it. Ran ridiculously hot (beating KK with AJ that flopped a gut shot and landed an ace on the turn, flopping broadway with AKo that held up over QT, etc. Ended up winning 20 bets in just a couple of hours and went home a $500 winner.

Cool feeling.

-McGee
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM

just saw this. congrats. i did well on a "shot" as well.

is 15/30 gonna be your regular game now?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM

Not just yet. My plan is to work it into my rotation for an hour or two a week, mostly when the game looks good (for example, on Friday night when they get two tables going). Bankroll management is a fishy concept for someone with a full-time job, but I'd at least like to pretend I'm following it.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Nice job, Jesse, way to go!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bankroll management is a fishy concept for someone with a full-time job, but I'd at least like to pretend I'm following it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful here. In many respects, bankroll management is just as important for the casual player as it is for the full-time grinder.

-McGee