Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Inducing river bluffs

heisenberg,
"If a loose player who isnt a spew monkey, but is agressive "

are you talking about the 45/10/1 type miles mentioned? Can you think of other player types?

I'm starting to think more and more that the most important factors are high vpip, lowish AF, and presence of flush draw (or middling str8 draw, like you mentioned) that missed.

Obviously it's also an advantage if your hand is pretty weak and you can get some chk-behinds by better hands.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vs. aggressive opponent who isn't likely to call down with a mediocre made hand, if you have been betting a hand like TP on F & T, and they have been calling on a draw heavy board, and no draw gets there on the river, then they probably won't pay off another bet on the river if their draw missed and you bet out, but they might bet the river as a bluff if you check.

Preflop (Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
villian open raises from C/O; hero in SB 3-bets

Flop (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls (or Hero bets, villain raises, Hero 3-bets, villain calls)

Turn (3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

vs passive calling station who maybe is calling down with KT or A8, value bet this.

vs someone you think is on a draw and unlikely just calling with a made hand and not going to call another bet, checking to induce a bluff is good

[/ QUOTE ]

gregorio,
thank you, this is not a spot I've ever considered...maybe others can help us decide if this is +ev. btw, i think you can raise the river if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has a pair too often to check there. Even if he doesn't, it's a pretty crazy bluff after we 3bang the flop; does anyone ever c/f here? I think even most Lagtards realize that nobody does. I'd def. raise if he bets though.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vs. aggressive opponent who isn't likely to call down with a mediocre made hand, if you have been betting a hand like TP on F & T, and they have been calling on a draw heavy board, and no draw gets there on the river, then they probably won't pay off another bet on the river if their draw missed and you bet out, but they might bet the river as a bluff if you check.

Preflop (Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

Flop (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls (or Hero bets, villain raises, Hero 3-bets, villain calls)

Turn (3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

vs passive calling station who maybe is calling down with KT or A8, value bet this.

vs someone you think is on a draw and unlikely just calling with a made hand and not going to call another bet, checking to induce a bluff is good

[/ QUOTE ]

gregorio,
thank you, this is not a spot I've ever considered...maybe others can help us decide if this is +ev. btw, i think you can raise the river if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has a pair too often to check there. Even if he doesn't, it's a pretty crazy bluff after we 3bang the flop; does anyone ever c/f here? I think even most Lagtards realize that nobody does. I'd def. raise if he bets though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any check by me here will be followed by a raise.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Preflop (Hero has A K)

Flop (K 8 7)

Turn (3)
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4)

gregorio,

[/ QUOTE ]

And the raise is to possibly fold hands that beat us or get paid 1 more bet from hands we do beat?

Plz elaborate
Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Preflop (Hero has A K)

Flop (K 8 7)

Turn (3)
Hero bets, villain calls

River (4)

gregorio,

[/ QUOTE ]

And the raise is to possibly fold hands that beat us or get paid 1 more bet from hands we do beat?

Plz elaborate

[/ QUOTE ]

stokken,
he's not really saying anything groundbreaking here. All he's saying is we are WAY ahead of the other guy's range since
-the guy never raised the turn
-the river was a blank
-we have TPTK.

So why not raise and get lots of frustrated calls from worse Kx. I think this works against the most unthinking semi-agro players.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heisenberg,
"If a loose player who isnt a spew monkey, but is agressive "

are you talking about the 45/10/1 type miles mentioned? Can you think of other player types?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the 45/10/1.0 type, same with the
60/3/0.9 type

The key is loose (so they call postflop with inadequate odds) and capable of bluffing, but not so much that they raise all the time like most spewmonkeys.

When you see a spew monkey going call/call they probabily have a really weak hand planning to showdown, unless the pot was multiway and ended heads up on the river. This is because they semi-bluff so agressivly.

Loose/semi-passive players have draws and even more made hands in their range.

I find 0.9-1.5 being the magic AF, but it of course depends on the game.

It also helps if they cant hand read, because they may think your bluffable in almsot all situations if you check.. Especially cause you bet them so thin for value.

A lot of deceent-good hands reading players will assume you have a made hand planning to showdown once you check, since they knows you would probabily bet a missed draw on a drawy board.
Obviously depends on the situation tho..
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM

All,
What about the following:
you open qh9h in the sb and a 35/15/1 calls in the BB. You've haven't played many hands together but you suspect he sucks and doesn't yet know you are 43 wtsd.
the flop comes something like T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
you bet, he calls
turn is an 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
you bet, he calls
river is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

fwiw, I might bet my whole range there if I were villain and somehow made it to the river in this manner.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Yah I think c/c is standard there.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MacGuyV,
is this c/c against everybody or just the player type I mentioned?

fwiw, if I'm hero I often 3-barrel there with whiffed diamonds.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MacGuyV,
is this c/c against everybody or just the player type I mentioned?

fwiw, if I'm hero I often 3-barrel there with whiffed diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think vs. just about anyone; not enough worst hands that call. I mean it's a blind battle & he has 2 cards so you have to discount Ace high more than usual right?