Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

On two of my most recent cab rides in Las Vegas, the cab drivers gave me crap about my tips.

One was to the airport. The fare was $11.40, I gave him $20 and asked for $7 back. He looked at me funny, went to get his cash, then said,
"You know it's $11.40, right?"
-"yes... why?"
"Only $1 tip??"
-"No, $1.60... what's wrong with that?"
"Man, you know we work on tips"
-"What? How much do you want?

He continued to be quite aggressive and rude about it, so I insisted on getting $7 back. I did almost give him more, but decided not to due to how he was talking to me.

Then today, I got a taxi from McCarran to the strip. Firstly, he took the route through the tunnel, so my fare ended up being a bit more than if he hadn't. It said $19.80 when I got out, so I gave him $25 and asked for $3 back. Barely 10% which I didn't feel great about, but I wasn't too happy about him having gone the long way.

Then he says,
"You know it's $21.20 right?"
-"No, it said $19.80..."
"No it's $21.20", and then he plays with the ticker and it still says $19.80 until he hits some buttons to make it say $21.20

Then I say,
"Ok, then let me ask you a question. Why did you go through the tunnel?"

He says,
"It's faster that way right now, with all the construction. And time is money in this business."

What. Ever.

I eventually let him give me just $2 back, which clearly neither of us are happy about. I've been told about taxis going through the tunnel, but it's never actually happened to me before.

Questions:
1) Do you guys usually specify not to go through the tunnel when you get in a cab from McCarran?
2) Has anyone else noticed cab drivers getting increasingly aggressive lately? I know my sample size is small, but in like 30 taxi rides in the past couple of years, I've never been hassled about my tips until these two times.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

I always tell them not to take the tunnel in or out of the airport. Once I let a cabbie talk me into the tunnel because the rodeo made Trop Ave a total nightmare (which I had seen from the air on arrival, so I agreed).

Once, I got to the airport with $11.60 showing on the meter. The cabbie immediately turned the meter off and said "that's $15". I proceeded to have an argument with him and ultimately gave him $14 (the $2.40 tip I'd been planning before his attempt at a scam); I wish I'd had the presence of mind to give him less.

I can't assume it's a trend, as I've never had a bad experience except that one. However, Las Vegas is a market where cabbies almost exclusively serve tourists who are unlikely to complain to the licensing commission, so they're probably not as afraid of losing their jobs/medallions as in NYC. That could make cabbies more likely to pull shenanigans.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 AM

In case you haven't noticed there is an additional amount added to all fares leaving the airport (used to be $2.20 but I think it has since increased). This is not reflected on the base meter charge but is shown on the same screen as the meter charge you are observing. Also anytime you place a piece of luggage in the trunk there is a fee for that as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 AM

I plan on $20 from the strip to airport no matter the cost but knowing the area i tell the cabbie exactly where to turn always.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 AM

If it happens again, and it continues to bother you get his hackney license number and make a formal complaint. The more complaints the less likely it will happen to you or others.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM

The majority of cab drivers I have encountered in Vegas have been professional and above board. About 50 lifetime total I would estimate, a dozen or so rides from the airport. So take that for what it's worth.

Only three unpleasantries:

1) Why the Tunnel?

Only once has a driver tried to take the tunnel from the airport. I was talking with someone in the back and did not notice what he had done until too late. We were going to the Flamingo, so this was in no way a shortcut.

I called him out on it once we reached the highway, and he grew extremely defensive. When we reached the hotel, though, he relented and said "pay me what you think is fair."

The fare was close to $20, though a trip to the Flamingo from the airport should be $12 or so. He's lucky I was splitting the ride and did not know my travel companion well. I avoided any added debate and so we just gave him $10 each anyway.

2) The Library and Off the Books

Same visit as the tunnel incident. We were heading off strip to the Library (huge mistake, but that's for another thread) but cab driver did not know the place. He asked if we knew the cross streets but we did not.

"Why not call your dispatcher?"

He did not answer and suggested I ask the bell captain where the place was.

I called over the captain (whom I had tipped a buck when we got in the cab) and explained. Now the captain wanted to know why he did not call the dispatcher.

Cabbie admitted that he was working off shift.

Bell Captain got us another cab, told the cabbie to leave.

3) Tip Hassle

Driver tried to steer us to strip clubs, we were not interested. Drove aggressively, yelled at pedestrians, referred to his New York background.

He got a small fare out of it (under $10) and a $2 tip, and he complained about it.

I did not ask for all the change back, but did did tell him "go back to New York you miserable bastard."

So that's it. Non-trivial, if you estimate that out to 5% of cab experiences. But overall, the cab drivers are honest and informative. Plus, they have great stories.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM

I have only ever had one problem with a Vegas cabbie. Leaving the Aladinn for the Stratosphere, I would assume he should take Harmon>Paradise>LV BLVD>the Stratosphere.

Instead we took Harmon>LV BLVD so now I figure he is going to go straight down the strip, its like 2am so I figure with no traffic, it will make litle to no differance to the route I expected.
However the cabbie now joins the turn lane to head west on Flamingo. I call him out on it, and he ingores me, totally doesnt answer. We are sitting in the turn lane, when my friend starts to question the guy what way and why we are going that way, still the cabbie ignores us.
So my friend does no more than to call the cab company and report that one of their drivers was longhauling us. dispatcher got on the radio, and we ended up going str8 down LVBLVD and not having to pay.

All my other cab journies in Vegas have been great.

For the OP, I probably would have given him $14 on the first fare, and unless he had a real good reason for taking the tunnel, no tip on the 2nd.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it happens again, and it continues to bother you get his hackney license number and make a formal complaint. The more complaints the less likely it will happen to you or others.

Peace,
Mygtar

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is best. OP, your cabbie was just a deuche. I think farting around in the parking lot so that the meter runs from $11.00 to $11.40 to entice you to tip him another $1 is pretty standard (and annoying) but he shouldn't be bitching about a $1.60 tip.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Personally, this is one reason why even in Vegas, I always rent a car. Ends up cheaper in the long run, and all the hotels have Valet parking anyway.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, this is one reason why even in Vegas, I always rent a car. Ends up cheaper in the long run, and all the hotels have Valet parking anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather drink than drive, and find I am taking on average three cab rides per day when there. Works out about the same as a rental.

But, really, it's more about the drinking part.