Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Money is so overrated.

The only things I like are weed, booze, sex, Winning Eleven, and music. Everything else is hell bent on destroying me. Discuss.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Money is so overrated.

[ QUOTE ]
The only things I like are weed, booze, sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not obtaining these with money, then I have to insist that you wash and sanitize your hands before shaking mine.

Scott
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only things I like are weed, booze, sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not obtaining these with money, then I have to insist that you wash and sanitize your hands before shaking mine.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
I carry bottles and bottles of Purell. HOLLA
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 AM

We live in a consumer culture that uses the media to manufacture needs in people. If advertising didn't convince the public to buy so much, then there would be no outlet for the gigantic productive power of capitalism. Despite this trend, some people are still pleased by inexpensive activities like reading, watching movies, smoking weed, writing, going for walks, exercising, conversing with friends, etc.

The drawback to being satisfied with little means is that no matter how much you are happy, you won't have the means to make certain people happy. In fact, many people will outright disapprove of you. Money is power. Money is social acceptance. No amount of philosophy is going to pay your kid's tuition, or buy you a house in a decent neighborhood.

An individual of little means CAN be very satisfied in america, but there are less ways to do it than one might think. Find your path, and walk it.

Very few people can accomplish this without decent fellow travelers, and it's too hard to tell the difference between an enlightened ascetic and a filthy hippy IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 AM

money makes the world go around. as soon as everyone recognizes that we can all stop skirting around the truth and stop bitching about blah blah blah material society blah blah dont want to work for the man blah blah etc.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
money makes the world go around. as soon as everyone recognizes that we can all stop skirting around the truth and stop bitching about blah blah blah material society blah blah dont want to work for the man blah blah etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 AM

Which reminds me, my Winning Eleven disc needs to be replaced.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the average math grad student is happier than the average person with twice his income. Basically dude, tis neither good nor bad, thought makes it so.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the average math grad student is happier than the average person with twice his income. Basically dude, tis neither good nor bad, thought makes it so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not saying anything. Math grad students don't have any income in the first place!

And yes, there is a well-established correlation between money and happiness.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 AM

Here's my thinking:

I'm a 21 year old dude with lots more money than 98% of 21 year old dudes. To tell you the truth, I'm at the top of the proletariate. The 2% above me...well they're dudes like good2cu who are WAAAAAAAY above me.

But for basically the past two years, I've bought myself [censored] to make me feel good about myself. Just because I could. And somehow I convinced myself that that's what separated me from other people in general, and other people my age in particular.

Which is quite obviously stupid.

I think anyway.

This isn't a brag, this isn't a beat. I don't know what it is honestly. It's basically a "wah wah" I'm emo statement without actually saying I'm emo I guess. wtf.