Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Just bought a new car...advice please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Add ons are crap, the only one I like is road hazard protection, if they pay for tires/wheels and the tow truck, but you are probably better off getting that directly from your insurance agency.

although, honestly enough, that dent zone, if you get unlimited fixes, isnt a terrible deal. Most people dont care about a little scratch or ding, Im anal, and might even get that if it covers scratches and dents.

[/ QUOTE ]

just make sure to read the fine print on the dent thing and be sure its really unlimited.

also, this is like a gym membership, how good of a deal it is will be determined by how many times you use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

right. If it covers them fixing even cosmetic scratches, a long with all dents, dings, etc for 5 years, an you can go as many times as you want to get things fixed, I really think thats a pretty decent deal. You might not use it your first year or two, but after 3 years cars usually get noticeably dinged up.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pics of car?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nothing great (compared to the standard ballin car), but I always though spending 50k+ on a new car was kind of silly. It's still nice though, I pick it up tomorrow and will post a pic either here or my blog.

And the dent removal thing was the only one I was really considering.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Here's the rub on dent removal. How often will you want to deal with dropping the car off at dealer for this service? You will either be stuck waiting there or will need to get a ride from a friend.

If your plan is to go almost the full 5 years and then get everything fixed at once I guess it could be worth it. I'd just read the fine print and if there are any exclusions like nicks or chips as opposed to dents I'd pass on it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Thoughts on the theft one being +EV since he has the most commonly stolen car in America?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on the theft one being +EV since he has the most commonly stolen car in America?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, depending on where you will be driving, but doubtful, usually when a car tops the list its about one out of 200 of that particular model stolen anually. so you are getting about 17:1, for a 200:1 shot.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Don't go for any of that extra BS. Plus why not buy 2 years old for much much cheaper and throw the rest in a Roth IRA?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't go for any of that extra BS. Plus why not buy 2 years old for much much cheaper and throw the rest in a Roth IRA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have managers/accountants to assist me in investing my money and taking care of similar matters. I've had a very successful year and thought it'd be nice to get a brand new car that's also very reasonable and reliable (Honda Civic's are one of the most reliable cars on the market).

Don't worry about me....just curious if the additional insurance things are worth it.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:18 PM

You employ a juggernaut of managers and accountants and yet you don't know that extra "protection plans" from new car dealers are a huge ripoff and waste of time?

Fine, I'll buy it. They are a waste of time, you don't need them. Congrats on the big year.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You employ a juggernaut of managers and accountants and yet you don't know that extra "protection plans" from new car dealers are a huge ripoff and waste of time?

Fine, I'll buy it. They are a waste of time, you don't need them. Congrats on the big year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't...it's my first time buying a car. Sorry if that came off bad, but I have no experience dealing with this kind of thing.

And I have one accountant who sometimes asks like a manger...he mostly deals with my taxes, but he has helped me with other things occasionally.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 PM

Adam,

Google 'Ultimate Warranty Company'. The coverage you can buy from them is more comprehensive and cheaper than what you're being offered at the dealership.

I had this insurance on my Corvette and had 2 rear-ends, one torque-tube, 1 transmission, and 1 engine replaced no questions asked. It was pretty amazing.