Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I215 to spring mountain. So she was WAY out of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? There's no 215 exit for Spring Mountain. You mean DI or Flamingo?
(Both not great options from Red Rock-->TI as Sahara would've been)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, I meant she took 215N to I15 to spring mountain.
But in any case I was a little ticked. If something like this happens can I just call right there b4 paying my fare and let a manager make a decision? What would the decision usually be on something like that?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But in any case I was a little ticked. If something like this happens can I just call right there b4 paying my fare and let a manager make a decision? What would the decision usually be on something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

as explained previously, the 215 loop is the standard way to travel, crosstown on Charleston takes too long and costs the same, the driver didnt screw you over.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Wasn't there a very long thread on tipping anecdotes? I'd love to read it again but I cant work the damn search function and cant remember if it was in BBV or B&M etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Just my $.02. Yes, taxi drivers in Vegas are becoming way to aggressive, but just put your foot down and dictate. Remember, you are the paying customer, so you tell him what you want! Tell him no to the 'loop' from the airport upfront. Don't let him talk you out of it. If he's cool with you, tip him accordingly. If he's an ass or tries to short your change, don't tip!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i am curious how much these guys make? 50/50 split plus tips and not paying for gas sounds like they can make alot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on conversations with the more candid full-time drivers, I'd say $40,000 is prolly in the ballpark. (Full-time meaning 60 + hrs. per week).

The uncapped split system is brutal on the big nights. To give you an idea of what a driver can knock down, consider the situation where I hacked (Grand Rapids, MI).

On a busy weekend night that includes a convention or concert, a good driver might haul in 4 bills before expenses. Next, figure how many more nights like that Vegas drivers encounter- coupled with the added tip potential from winning drunks and high-rollers- and you are talking some pretty good money potential for relatively unskilled labor.

Unfortunately, the companies stymie this with their greed and control, and that is why drivers have been lobbying to own their taxis. If they only payed the company a flat amount every week for the dispatching, advertising and insurance- with the added option of leasing the car out on off hours- the public would encounter far more congenial cabbies.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as explained previously, the 215 loop is the standard way to travel, crosstown on Charleston takes too long and costs the same, the driver didnt screw you over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolding the "N" since I can presume TT missed it.

If she went north that means she went all the way up through North Las Vegas/Aliante i.e. WAAAAAAAY out of the f'n way.

And waaaaaaaay out of line.

Hell no I wouldn't pay for that.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You take 215 South/East all the way from Red Rock to I-15 south of Mandalay to get to the Strip?

You craaaaaaaaaazy. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if we are just talking about the FASTEST way, if you are going to mandalay bay this is actually quite a bit quicker than any other route from RR.
I know because we eat quite a bit at mandalay bay, live 1 minute west of RR, and have timed both routes.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So does the tunnel make sense if you are going to the west side of the strip? Like to the Rio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since no one answered, yes to the Rio, Palms, Orleans...

Traffic mid-strip, esp Flamingo westbound is getting outrageous. Often late afternoon, backed up to Koval.