Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Did I play this QQ like a doofus?

UTG in this hand is a bit of a spazz. He's been betting and raising a lot with draws, and pure air.

BB is loose/passive, something like 38/8/.5

Full Tilt Poker $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#FF0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>

The reason I played it like that, is because I figured I probably was ahead of UTG's range, and I wanted maximum hand protection, so I figured going for a check/raise on a relatively safe-looking turn card would knock out BB.

I know that if the turn gets checked through, that would probably be devastating. But I was confident that wouldn't happen.

Yay or nay?

-- Kevin

Edit: added BB stats
Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Did I play this QQ like a doofus?

I like it, I think the reward of getting 2 big bets in on the turn outweighs the relatively small risk of him checking behind since he has been betting and raising alot with draws although without this read I would probably just jam it on the flop
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 AM

These days I just tend to jam flops and lead out on the turn with overpairs when it's unlikely I'm against a bigger pocket overpair. BB may be getting decent odds to call you on the flop, but it's probably a mistake for him to pay 3 or 4 sb to see the turn.

If you were pretty certain button was going to bet, then maybe try and get him HU on the flop with a C/R - but the board is so drawy that passive players might likely pay any price to see the next card.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 AM

nh

You would be a doofus if you 3-bet the flop.

Given your positions you have an excellent chance to wait for the turn to see which card comes of and if its safe you can face the third guy with worse odds by raising the turn than by raising the flop.

NH Sir!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nh

Given your positions you have an excellent chance to wait for the turn to see which card comes of and if its safe you can face the third guy with worse odds by raising the turn than by raising the flop.

NH Sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oink, what are you doing on a A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn. How about a A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn.

What if the flop was 789r rather than two tone. I think I would be poping the flop again as there are less turn cards that can hurt us combined with the risk of a turn check-through to damaging
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nh

NH Sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oink, what are you doing on a A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn. How about a A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn.

What if the flop was 789r rather than two tone. I think I would be poping the flop again as there are less turn cards that can hurt us combined with the risk of a turn check-through to damaging

[/ QUOTE ]

I read hand histories to fast.

I somehow assumed that Hero had position.

Being OOP makes matters much worse and just 3-betting the flop is an option.

If I just called flop OOP believing turn wouldnt get checked through I think I'd donk those turns you mention. Just to make sure it gets bet.

If the flop was rainbow it would be even better to jam the flop.

As a rule tho, I try not to put in to many bets on drawy multiway flops with 1 pair. Waiting for the turn to see what card comes and to possibly face some players with worse odds have a lot of value IMO.