Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Default no-limit capped games??

i noticed this was mentioned in another forum. but i wanted to ask here because the answers are so good.

i often read that you don't want to play no-limit with a player with a much larger stack... in a tournament, i can understand that... and for risk management (positive EV but you don't want to lose your whole stack), i could maybe understand.. but from pure EV point of view, i don't see the big problem.

also, i've read that sometimes guys with big stacks think they are in a tournament and throw the $$$$ around. that sounds great in a cash game where you don't care as much about losing your stack.

lastly, if i join a $200 max game, can i always replenish to $200 or do i have to wait until i hit zero? i really don't know. seems like people would constantly be refreshing, if so.

thank in advance!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: no-limit capped games??

[ QUOTE ]
i often read that you don't want to play no-limit with a player with a much larger stack

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on how you like to play NL.

I think too many players over-emphasize the notion of "pushing people off a hand" with a big raise. If you hang out in a poker room, you'll hear players say they like no-limit because you can "protect your hand" - which they usually interpret as making huge overbets to try to bully their opponents. Of course, that's not really protecting your hand, but it's a very common mistake. For that reason, some players like a big stack - so they can bully the smaller stacks.

Ed Miller writes about a short stack strategy in Getting Started In Hold'em and you'll find plenty of posts about it. The downside of playing the short stack is that it's not possible to maximize your very best hands. If you are a large stack, you'll be able to extract the maximum from your opponents when you have good cards.

When you're holding the short stack you will often be all-in on the flop. One advantage of this is that when you're all-in you take away your opponent's positional advantage.

I've really glossed this subject and others will be able to give a more complete answer.

[ QUOTE ]

lastly, if i join a $200 max game, can i always replenish to $200 or do i have to wait until i hit zero? i really don't know. seems like people would constantly be refreshing, if so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will vary by card room, so ask a floor person. Some places will let you keep your stack topped off at $200. Other will only let you rebuy up to $200 when you dip below a set amount, say $100.

I hope that's some help.

Regards,

T
Old 02-07-2006, 07:33 PM

As fas I have seen you usually can replenish whenever you want up to maxium buy-in.

Also, as I've seen good players always have the maxium buy-in, I guess they trust their ability to prevent being stacked and to stack "deeply" other players when they can.

So, as a general rule I would have larger stack if you feel confident, and smaller if you are not sure or feel outplayed.

regards,

dardo
Old 02-08-2006, 12:13 PM

thanks... i was thinking.. if too many people have much larger stacks, then you can go all-in and your 2-3 opponents check it down which really reduces your chances of winning.

i think i'll stick to the comfort level (not too high or low, in the middle).
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i often read that you don't want to play no-limit with a player with a much larger stack... in a tournament, i can understand that... and for risk management (positive EV but you don't want to lose your whole stack), i could maybe understand.. but from pure EV point of view, i don't see the big problem.

also, i've read that sometimes guys with big stacks think they are in a tournament and throw the $$$$ around. that sounds great in a cash game where you don't care as much about losing your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It usually seems to be the short stacks acting like they're in a tournament. They get a medium pocket pair or something and push.

Think of it in terms of how many hands you have to win to take all of your opponents money versus how many he has to win to take all of yours. That's how you measure the balance of power in a cash game. If you need to win ten hands to bust him and he only needs to get lucky once to clean you out, whose going to win more money? You can keep rebuying for, say, $10, but he's going to take that sooner or later, too, even if he has to double you up five times before he busts you.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:03 AM

Short stack games are very profitable when played correctly.

My experience with short stack strategy is do not always go all in pre-flop (I want to be called) but once the flop hits push or muck. The reason I say don't go all in pre-flop consistently depends on the table and the stack sizes seated. When your short you are more likely to be called on a reasonable bet as the risk is minimal to others and therefore the implied odds are usually very good for those calling because they know your short and your aggression is not such a deciding factor.

For example I am stacked at 200 and hold top pair AA, I value bet 60 pre-flop, four muck and 4 call it leaving the pot at 300. The flop comes ragged low rainbow, I push 140 (again in value range) and usually will get called by at least half or more of those left in simply because I am (the short guy) and the agressor. The pot is now at 720 assumed 1/2 left call. Implied odds are generally good for other players, my stack is depleted, and I no longer pose an added threat. If the flop looks bad I muck and still have enough left for another go without having to re-buy which would give the strategy away. The objective is to leave more than half the tables with more than I came in with.

Once I post a win, a total loss, or surpass a predetermined number of hands im off to another table. I tend to play multiple sites and tables to help disguise the strategy. What I do not want is for it to be easy for others to determine I am playing the flop short or that I am playing extreamly tight. I want to appear somewhat desperate and short on funds hoping for a comeback.

You must be ready to experience some large swings from time to time. If you are sufficiently banked, selecting tables correctly, and playing the correct cards pre-flop you should dominate these games.

It is not beyond comprehension that even a novice player can do well playing a short strategy. Once you push the game is over (for me), your cards hold or you are beat. It is all about the odds, your hand, and those willing to call a short stack (table selection). The beauty of playing short is you do not have to win even half the hands, many times, to come out a winner.

Edit: So it is clear, I use this strategy in NL (preferred) or PL (depending on the players seated) games only. The example above is not the only way to play a hand short. I used it as an example of one way to extract value.

Monty