Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: American Gangster leaked online one week before release

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Piracy for profit is a big no-no in my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes piracy for profit no good, but piracy for personal use acceptable? I guess I don't see the difference from the movie company's perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 PM

please stop hinting at where to download pirate movies. the rules are very simple guys.

leaky eye got a 2 day ban for posting that link.

next one to be a retard gets perm banned
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes piracy for profit no good, but piracy for personal use acceptable? I guess I don't see the difference from the movie company's perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice that both you and kipin aren't exactly spelling out your arguments here.

If I'm pirating something and passing it off to the consumer as legitimate, then it's possible that I'm now stealing additional customers beyond myself that would have willingly paid the original vendor full price and would not have pirated it themselves. This assumes that I'm selling it at full price, which seems highly unlikely, or that I'm even trying to pass it off as legitimate, which I think most customers see through. I suspect this is a pretty small effect, and certainly not morally vastly different from hosting it on a peer to peer network so that any may enjoy it for free.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 PM

In one instance I am enjoying the movie for free, and sharing with other people who are also enjoying the movie for free.

In the other instance I am taking the movie, printing it on my own DVD's and then selling them for profit, although at a less than Hollywood price. In some sense I am reducing transaction costs for piracy by allowing people who have no technical know how get it on the action. But I am making a profit off of someone else's work which is something I would never agree with.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't pretty much every movie leaked before release? Why would it affect this movie more than any other movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most movies aren't released on the internet before they even show in the theater. Most of the time it takes a couple days after they're out in theaters before a cam shows up online. The release of quality downloads varies a lot from movie to movie, but it's usually ~ 2 months before the actual dvd release date.

This one will make a bigger impact then most because a quality version (or so I hear, haven't watched it yet) has been leaked before it's even in the theaters, but the impact will still be small.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 PM

I downloaded it like 3 days ago and its pretty much perfect quality. No movies get released with a dvd rip quality before theyre even in the theaters. It normally gets leaked a month before it gets released on dvd.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the pre-internet days, the media companies couldn't care less about non-profit pirating, because it's only one sale. Pirating for profit involved lots more distribution.

In the days of the internet, "non-profit" pirating can still mean widescale distribution. In fact, in some ways it's even worse for the media companies because the purchaser no longer has to pay for a product. (E.g., if the choice is between a $5 poor quality bootleg and a $9 movie ticket, the higher quality may make some choose the movie ticket. But if the choice is between free bootleg and a $9 movie ticket, the choice becomes different).

So obviously, both are bad from the perspective of the media companies.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most movies aren't released on the internet before they even show in the theater. Most of the time it takes a couple days after they're out in theaters before a cam shows up online. The release of quality downloads varies a lot from movie to movie, but it's usually ~ 2 months before the actual dvd release date.

This one will make a bigger impact then most because a quality version (or so I hear, haven't watched it yet) has been leaked before it's even in the theaters, but the impact will still be small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, incidents like this are definately a bigger problem for the movie producers than some crappy cam release with spanish subtitels on the screen, people caughing into the microphone, heads moving around in front of the camera, etc turning up a couple days after the release (at which point the big productions usually have made a big chunk of their money already anyway).
Old 10-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Its not going to have much of an effect. Whats going to be annoying tho is that if it doesnt do huge numbers at the box office they'll just blame it on the fact it was downloadable early. Hell it could smash all the records and theyd still prolly claim it hurt sales.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 AM

From my previous experience from downloading screeners, there are many differences (notable ones too. Mostly scene deletion) that just make the movie version that much better (better editing, too). I was tempted but decided against it.

Also, very bitter in missing the sneak peak on campus. [censored]