Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 PM

Default ($5) Busted out first hand with 99

I'm fairly new to NL, and I'm genuinely confused about this hand. I had an overpair and a gutshot on the flop, the turn wasn't that scary. Rip it apart if I messed it up, but I genuinely don't know what i should have done...

Full Tilt Poker NL Hold'em (9 Handed)
Blinds 15/30
First hand of the tourney, so all players start with 1500
-------------------------
Preflop: Didelo is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG Calls t30, Didelo Calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB Calls t30, UTG calls t30, Didelo calls t30, MP1 calls t30
Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot 315, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Didelo bets t315</font>, <font color="#666666">MP1 folds</font>, Button calls t315, BB calls t315, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>
Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot 1260, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Didelo bets t1125 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1125 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>
Didelo shows 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button shows 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button wins the pot (3,510) with a pair of Tens
Didelo stands up
Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: ($5) Busted out first hand with 99

u did fine. i like to bet more than the pot on the flop herer, but i really dont think it matters at the $5's

i suck though...a lot
Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 PM

no set no bet at the 5's.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM

I don't like this line at all. If you wanted to play 99 for its value, you needed to raise preflop and isolate. There were 7 people in the hand, by my count. The chance of a pair of nines winning a seven-handed deal after the river are very, very small. If you wanted to play for set value, then you limp along like you did and pretty much don't bet unless you see a 9 on the board. As it went, the flop you got was about as good as it could have been for you without a 9 on the board, but I don't put any more money in after my pot sized bet on the flop gets called by 2 people... unless I hit the straight draw.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 PM

You don't need to tap on the turn here. The ten is a disastrous card (well, any over is a disastrous card). Guys limp all the time with AT, KT, JT etc. and will call with overs.

I would check and see how the betting goes down on fourth street, leaning strongly toward a fold.

--AD
Old 04-07-2006, 02:20 PM

don't post results.

Main point: A medium overpair is marginal. Don't let the pot get out of control. Again, a medium overpair is marginal. I agree with limping 99 PF for SET value. While 3 undercards is a more "favorable" flop for 99 than one with overcards, this board is damn coordinated, the flop is 5-way and it was unraised PF. This is disaster waiting to happen.

And...IGNORE your gutshot draw. Especially since hitting a 6 may give you the second best hand and hitting the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] may give you the third best hand.

How would I play this first hand of the tourney?

I would check the flop. A big bet or bet-raise behind me lets me happily fold my 99. I may call a small bet if I would be closing the action. If it checks through, I don't feel particularly good about any turn cards except a non-diamond 6. In sum, there's NO WAY I go broke on this hand.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Didn't intially notice that it was min-raised PF. Doesn't really change any of my thoughts.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 PM

I play a lot of 5 and $10 SNGs, and one thing I have learned (especially at the 5s) is that at least half the players at any given table have absolutely no idea what they are doing, and 3 of the other 5 know just enough to overthink everything and play poorly (I am probably one of those LOL). Also, almost every game will start with at least two knockouts in the first 10 hands. Button was wrong oddswise to call your pot sized bet after the flop, but you were never going to chase out 6 other hands with a pot size bet, and with all those calls pre-flop there is just way too much of a chance of two pair, two overcards, or straight draws out there, and in $5 games many players WILL chase a gut shot draw all the way to the river. Button is a perfect example, he raised with trash, called your pot sized bit with a gut shot, then went all in on a pair of tens...TERRIBLE!

YOu should have raised pre-flop to isolate or called pre-flop and checked the flop and turn and folded to any bet.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I think where I come unstuck is in the transition from limit to NL - I play both every day. In low limit, I'd bet/raise an overpair and a gutshot pretty much every time on the flop. Then, when I pick up the OESD on the turn, it's probably bet/call and check/call a scary card on the river.

But it's also right that at these low buy-in SNGs there are usually 1 or 2 maniacs in the first couple of hands who go all-in with any half-decent hand and bust out (me, LOL). Should you therefore just avoid any kind of trouble in the first couple of hands?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM

other thoughts/questions on this...

1) man, the button is a moron. I don't play the $5 but 'wow.' All around horrible play by him. Its a shame to see such stupidity rewarded.
2) Your play is not as horrid as his... but why are you putting your entire stack on the first hand of the tourney with an unimproved pair of 9s? Considering your position and a preflop raiser (even if it was a moronic minraise), why even pot the flop? If you're going to bet it, save yourself a few chips and bet less then 1/3 of your stack.

An inside straight draw is crap in NL unless your opponents are poor enough to underbet or give you a free card.

There's no reason for you to have your whole stack in with this hand. You had a middle pair. You can get your money in to the center with a better hand then that.