Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Help Me Decide What To Do

[ QUOTE ]
iggy,

more info about what it is you do would obviously help. your experience, references, etc. but my guess is you could hold out for a better job. it may even be that when you tell the folks at your current job you're gonna walk, they'll offer you a raise.

you found a job with a salary at the low end of the range for the position. if you've got a decent employment history and job prospects aren't too bad, you can probably do better.

[/ QUOTE ]

My previous work experience is in civil/environmental field as a technician. I got about 3 years experience in the field and while I don't have a degree, I have a lot of specialized training. I was a jack of all trades in my last job, so I have a TON of experience in many different aspects. My old company loved me and my references were all people I was friends with outside of work also so I'm sure they will speak the world of me.

This job that I'm trying to figure out whether to turn it down or not is just doing just one of probably a couple dozen activities that I could actually do.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:39 PM

You gotta bail on that lease somehow. If you only have the skills to make 30k a year you cant afford to spend that much on housing. I assume you're young, so I bet you'd like PB, and you can definitely do better than 850/month there. Might have to live in a dump, but until you increase your earning power, you'll just have to get used to that if you want to live in California. Or go into horrible debt.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 PM

400 bucks in groceries for one person for 2 weeks? wtf?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was his first trip to the grocery store, he probably needed all the "essentials" that you dont have to buy evertime (ketchup, TP, cleaning crap etc)
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, a big chunk of that was stocking my medicine cabinet and cleaning supplies, but it is insane how much more expensive food is here than back in Pittsburgh.

It's not like I'm a fat bastard either. I weigh 150lbs and have lost 5 pounds since moving here.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, a big chunk of that was stocking my medicine cabinet and cleaning supplies, but it is insane how much more expensive food is here than back in Pittsburgh.

It's not like I'm a fat bastard either. I weigh 150lbs and have lost 5 pounds since moving here.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, go to any grocery store and buy generic. i guarantee you can find a bottle of pasta sauce that costs $1.50 and a 1 lb bag of pasta for $1. thats at least 2-3 meals easy. and for gods sake a carne asada burrito at pretty much any place around here costs $5.

where do you live btw? you can do better on rent for sure if you get away from the beach areas and/or move closer to mexico
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM

I live right by Fashion Valley Mall.

I did look into other areas and not that I have a problem living in a not so nice place, but the price difference wasn't all that different for a shack crammed full of people compared to what I'm paying now.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM

iggy,
a few suggestions: shop at trader joes and henrys (produce) for the cheapest groceries. if you can bike or walk to work (def not doable for many people) do it. learn to love cheap beer to drink before going to the bars.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iggy,
a few suggestions: shop at trader joes and henrys (produce) for the cheapest groceries. if you can bike or walk to work (def not doable for many people) do it. learn to love cheap beer to drink before going to the bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

All doable for me. I'm not someone who tries to live a baller lifestyle or tries making it rain. I'm just trying to figure out if it's insane for me to think I need a $35k job... and if I could actually find one.

I've done a little browsing around and I see clerical positions for 28-30k. Hell, I could get one of them and work 15-20 hours part time at min wage and make a hellova lot more than this job would pay me in the end.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Iggy -- being employed will be a good foundation for you while you find other sources of income. And if you have to go into debt, it's only a year contract and you can move on after that if you can. Also, did I miss you answering the poker question? I've used poker as a great supplement to a full time job for years now. I could live in L.A. off my salary, but it's much nicer having the extra cash from poker.

Anyway, I would say definitely take the job. Cut down on all but the barest of expenses, or take a little credit card debt. You can get out of that relatively easily with good money management later on, and that will really be a worst case scenario. I can think of much worse cases if you don't take the job.