FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: tell us about your job

kyleb has a pattern mapper.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do?
I was a farmhand now I am probably the same but also a beginning farmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

DKay , where are you? I didn't think it was possible for a small-time farmer to make a profit any more? How hard would it be for someone with little/no experience to get into farming?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do? Work in a private consulting company reviewing construction drawings and inspecting buildings throughout the state of Texas for handicap accessibility. Write reports and send to clients for both services.
Do you like it? It's pretty boring and monotonous but it is low stress. And I get to fly to Dallas and other parts of Texas about 6-8 times a year.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? Introverted, yet good on the phone. Enjoy driving and good at navigating. Ability to write a coherent report. Ability to tell our clients where they are out of compliance without pissing them off and alienating them.
What kind of people do best in your work? Typically introverts who don't mind doing boring, low-stress work. People willing to work harder for a bonus. People with a car that gets great mileage. (we get paid $0.485/mile)

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? A professional (5-year degree) in architecture or I believe engineering as well. Also a state license to perform building inspections.

What is a typical day like? Tuesday and Thursday I am in the office. I come in an hour late and leave an hour late to avoid RH traffic. I surf 2+2 while writing my reports and faxing them out. I also answer phone calls from clients. Occassionally I will review drawings if the plan reviewers are behind.
M, W, and Friday I'm out in the field. I usually log around 110 miles each day in the field. Dragging my ass all over Houston and outlying areas, meeting people (building owners/managers, contractors, architects, etc.) and walking their building with them. Often times I will have breaks of up to 2 hours between inspections, so I'll either sleep in my car, or find a bookstore to lounge in, or take care of other errands.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Inspections in the medical center are very stressful. It is really crowded, and there is always construction. It is hard as hell to find where I have to go. I get shoddy directions from building managers who think I know the facility as well as they do. Parking in the garages sucks ass because they are always full except for the top and I get stuck behind an old man going 5mph trying to find a spot on level 6 instead of just hauling ass to the top.

Also, a lot of the new building I inspect are so new that they aren't on mapquest or yahoo maps yet so I have to really do some detective work to find them. I end up driving around weird/construction areas so I get a nail in my tire about every 2 months.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? The female architects and building owners who call are always way way more rude than the men. The women really piss me off. Having to hold the file for 9 months and follow up with building owners is frustrating.

How much do you make? Total compensation (incl. 401k + ins. + gas money) is 52k, with quota-bonuses, I can make up to 64k probably. It should fall in between at about 58K

How much can one expect to make in your position?

That is about max. because I'm always working harder for bonuses.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 PM

What do you do? Senior finance manager for Fortune 50 Consumer products company

Do you like it? I like the people very much, the work isn't that challenging.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? You need to be able to explain complicated financial concepts to people in marketing without finance backgrounds. You need to be patient and able to work with bureaucracy.

What kind of people do best in your work? People who can get along with other, influence others and understand multiple functions (finance, sales, operations, marketing)

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Usually an MBA from top 10 school, thought very few people have been promoted without one.

What is a typical day like? Usually in the office 7-6 and will do another hour or 2 of email at home. Spend lots of time in meetings, do very admin stuff for my team and probably spend an hour or so doing actual finance.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Lack of motivation from employees, bureaucracy. You can make 100K a year without really doing much. Some people want to make more, but lots are comfy with a cushy corporate job.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Creating reports for senior people who want them for no legit reason.

How much do you make? its complicated. Base + bonus is aroudn 150K-175. Stock, profit sharing and deferred comp probably add another 25K.

How much can one expect to make in your position? As a director, totaly comp is probably arond 300K/year; probbaly around 600K-1MM as a VP. Most of the pay is deferred at senior levels. Part of the frustration is that bonuses are determined much more by compaby performance than your own. [/b]
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

What do you do? What do you do? Web programmer. I make websites that need to do a lot of stuff, like BofA, work. (I don't actually work on BofA, just an example.)

Do you like it? Generally yeah. I like the puzzle of getting the back end to work, and of boliing down the user-interface to the simplest, most straigtforward way to get the job done. I also like the feeling when I can create a great product that people love to use.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I think I may have the same brain as people who write computer languages. I've always picked them up very easily. Also I think a lot of gifted programmers may not be tuned into the human aspect (user-interface) of what they do, or have lousy communication/social skills in general. So someone who can deliver the goods *and* function well within a team environment has a leg up.

What kind of people do best in your work? Geeks. Very similar to poker pros or chess guys or whatever.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Bachelors in CS or higher will work. So will just finding some projects and working cheap to get experience. Everything is always changing so fast that college education in the field really isn't necessary right now. There are plenty of jobs to be had if you can just show a little experience, and convince them you're clever. This could all change as the fields matures.

What is a typical day like? Like any other office. Come in, stare at a computer screen most of the day, maybe have a few meetings. If you're lucky you get a tele-commute day or two, which often = day off. Then again when a big project is due you might work almost every waking hour for 2 weeks.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Lousy requirements from higher-ups who just want something that works, but haven't really thought through many aspects of what "works" actually means, and don't want to be bothered to sit down and figure it out with you. Co-workers who get stuck in some stubborn mode of thinking and just won't come around. Unrealistic project deadlines (the norm). Lack of interesting work. Trying to make something work, when the wrong technology or architecture has been selected for the job, and it's too late to change.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation?
Frustration - working on a huge project you think might fail and isn't being run right. Working for a project manager who thinks the user-interface is more of an afterthought, so you constantly have to battle to make things smoother in that area. Working with people who put their own interests above the product/project. Projects for big corporations or healthcare stuff (or the worst - BOTH) that require tons and tons of documentation. Friction between different groups, like the front end and the back end, who fail to see the other side's POV.

Elation - creating something really cool that people love. Solving a particularly tough programming problem in a creative way. The feeling of accomplishment when you finally roll out a big project. Having a peer look at your work and say "that's pretty cool". Hearing directly from your users how much they love the product, or how much better it is than the old one.

How much do you make? I was making about $118k at my old job. I think the new one will offer me similar on Monday.

How much can one expect to make in your position? Very geographically dependent, SF/LA/NY would be at least 20% higher than anywhere else I think. I think what I was making is getting up there for a straight programmer (fellow progammers - please let me know if I'm off here). Maybe $150k+ if you're some kind of architect who's already designed a couple major systems from scratch. Or more obviously - if you become some kind of director or VP and start managing people. Also if you get lucky and land at a startup that makes it big, you can become a multi-millionaire (or billionaire like Dikshit). But that is a total crapshoot, and not likely enough to spend a lot of time searching for IMO.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM

Holy [censored]. I just started a new job last week, so I'm going to gush about it...even at the risk of jinxing myself.

What do you do? I am a part time assistant photo editor at a huge newspaper in my city.

Do you like it? Yes. A lot. It's my dream job...and I didn't even know it existed three weeks ago.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I'm well suited because I love multitasking, journalism, photography and the internet. I'm a curious person and a self starter and learner. Poorly suited...perhaps only in terms of trying to please everyone. I worry about deadlines and trying to get everything done for everyone.

What kind of people do best in your work? Chain smoking journalists, apparently. I think I'm the youngest person in the newsroom, and the youngest in my department. I think you have to have a good memory and an ability to throw whatever you are working on if something else bigger comes in.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? I'm still working on my Bachelor of Science degree, but basically an eye for photography, Photoshop skillz and and ability to handle stress. My photo editor is a ex-freelance photographer. My coworker is a photographer as well, who happens to be good with computers.

What is a typical day like? I do not think I can answer that yet. Last week Mark Messier's jersey was retired in my city, so there was lots of Messier talk. A day later, some art show was big talk. The day ebbs and flows with news stories. The day at 11am is significantly different by 4pm. They seem flexible. A lot of eating at the desk, reading the newspaper and newsites, waiting for news to happen.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Reporters who want their pictures NOW. Terrible photography sent in by the public. Copyright issues.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? I'm too on a high to answer that rationally. Ask me in three months.

How much do you make? $33,000 CDN a year, if I was full time at my hourly rate I am getting paid right now. I have no idea what someone would cap out at or would be salaried at. Below photo editor, but above most of the peons, I expect. I think I could use this job to springboard into more journalistic pursuits, or working at a big name place like Associated Press or Reuters. You can tell I'm in the halcyon days of early employment because I don't care about the hours or the money, just that I really like what I seem to be doing thus far.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 AM

What do you do?
I work as a Freelance Mystery Shopper. Basically, I go to various shopping centres and stores, purchasing goods or services. Afterwards, I write up an assessment on the level of customer service that I recieved. I am then paid a fee for the shopping assignment, as well as reimbursed by the company for all of the required goods/services that I purchased plus my travel costs.

Do you like it?
I used to... mostly because of the immense flexibilty that I have with my daily schedule. Also, I like being able to keep whatever I purchase. However, over the past year I have earned much more from poker/writing/internet marketing, than I have from from Mystery Shopping... causing the elation to wear off.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work?
I am suited for my job in that I have a keen eye for detail, I am logical, I am good with keeping up with paperwork, and I am self-motivated. However, I am (very) poorly suited for my job in that I hate shopping... always have done, and probably always will. Fighting mid-day shopping crowds is not my idea of fun.

What kind of people do best in your work?
Basically as long as you can keep on top of masses of paperwork, and you are actively drumming up more work from day to day, you will do great. You also have to like to shop... I mean you REALLY have to like to shop...

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?
None. Thats the beauty of it... simply build a portfolio of companies who want to regularly hire you and you will do fine.

What is a typical day like?
I wake up around 10am and watch some bad day-time tv whilst checking my emails. I then spend an hour or so calling round companies (or checking their websites) to find out if they have any work available or any upcoming jobs. Once done I then shower, dress, apply my make-up and go out between 12pm - 5pm actually mystery shopping (purchasing goods, eating at resturants, going into banks and asking about their 'great rates'). I then come home for about 6pm and spend around 2-3 hours writing up the reports on the customer service provided by all the shops that I attended. I then send off the reports (usually via email or post), and that is my work day complete. If it reads as though I am bored with this routine, it is because I am. I have done this for a few years, and I am now looking for a change.

What kind of problems do you encounter?
The paperwork by far. A typical mystery shopping report is about 8-10 pages long, and requires detailed explanations throughout. When you have 10 shopping reports to complete in one evening, it can become heart-stoppingly boring to complete them all on time.

Frustration --- Paperwork; Elation --- Flexiable Hours/Getting lots of free goods.

How much do you make?
It varys according to how much work I can get, but I typically average $2500 a month ($30k a year) after tax.

At the top end of the spectrum, you are going to peak at about $60k a year after tax.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 PM

What do you do?
Nothing

Do you like it?
It's better than doing something. Actually it gets boring sometimes.

I'm a hard-working perfectionist. I'd rather do nothing than do something badly.

Hobos, drug addicts, kids with trust funds, aging hippies.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?
A hefty bank account and an ability to amuse yourself.

Get up pretty early, have coffee, read the paper, make breakfast, browse the interweb, play some video games. Then find someplace to get lunch, go out & lunch, come back and chill, go to the gym and squat 2000 or so or maybe go for a bike ride, then go to the park and read a book. Meet some friends at a cafe when they get off work (suckas), go out to dinner, go home and watch a movie. Some nights drop and go out clubbing, some days go out mountain biking or hiking.

Friends who wanna go to the crappy steak house that charges $100 for a side of potatoes. Parents and grandparents constantly telling me to get a job. Self doubt and thoughts that I'm wasting my life.

Frustration - pretty minimal, mainly parking related. Elation - when you find a whole week's worth of Steel Cut Oats in the bulk bin for $1.50 !!

How much do you make?
$0.

Well, most people make around $0, but the sky's the limit, some people like Paris Hilton seem to be making millions from doing nothing.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Well, I guess it's my turn
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do?I work for a large Mattress Retailer, as a store manager/salesperson

Do you like it?Yeah. It's not always the most exciting job in the world, but I like the company that I work for, and the opportunities for advancement that I have. It also has a pretty good income to amount of work done ratio

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work?Umm...I'm a good salesman.

What kind of people do best in your work? Good Salespeople. Also, even some not so good salespeople that are nice and personable enough. Self motivation is also key, as you may literally sit on your ass for 6-7 hours, then have a couple customers come in. If you're not ready to sell them something, you get to go home and tell the wife that you donated your time for the day.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? None, really. Sales experience is nice, but as anyone who has ever trained salespeople will tell you, it's easier with someone who has never sold anything before. No bad habits.

What is a typical day like? Get to work at 10:00. Check E-mails, run sales reports, clean the store up, follow up with customers if necessary, wait to have someone to sell beds to.
What kind of problems do you encounter? Slow times of the year, crappy salespeople that leave issues from the day before, thing like that.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Frustration: You spend an hour or two with a customer, sell them a big bed, they want to finance it, they get declined.

Elation: The busy times of the year. Also, the utmost high that I've ever felt on this job was a few years ago. I had a customer come in with his mother. This guy was in his 20s or 30s and had some sort of Mental Retardation. We found him a bed that he liked, but it was too expensive for him. Long story short, I found a way to get it into his budget. As we were sitting at the desk writing up the sale, the guy comes behind the desk, hugs me and starts crying. Now normally, I don't like it when another dude starts hugging me, and if he's crying it's kinda creepy. However, through his tears this guy starts telling me how happy he is and that he never thought that he would ever be able to afford a bed like this, etc. It was by far the most rewarding sale I've ever made (though definitely not the most profitable one).

How much do you make?It varies. Last year I made $65k. However, it's commission, so it varies.

How much can one expect to make in your position? Average for sales people and store managers company wide is $56k, but this includes the level above me, which get bonuses based on things other than just sales.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-06-2007, 01:25 AM

Since someone else with a single-digit post count waded in:

What do you do?

I am a federal prosecutor.

Do you like it?

Yes.

The job requires a mix of talents: you must be a good courtroom lawyer; you must be a good brief-writer; you must have the ability to supervise agents; and you must have at least some inter-personal skills. I'm well-suited because although I'm far from brilliant, I'm pretty well-rounded.

The very best are the people who are not only smart and talented but willing to work very, very hard.

J.D. from a top school. Prior experience in either another prosecutor's office or at a big law firm. Prior clerkship for a federal judge is a plus, but not required.

Out the door at 7:00-7:30, in the office at 7:30-8:00. Leave the office anywhere from 5:00 to 7:00. There is no "typical" day otherwise -- some days you go to court, most days you don't. Some weeks you might be writing a big brief, some weeks you don't write a lick. There might be periods when you spend days at a time at the FBI or DEA office supervising an investigation. Plus meetings, telephone calls, all the usual stuff.

Number one problem: I could do a lot more with a competent paralegal to support my work. Otherwise, the usual gripes about the workplace: jerky colleagues and incompetent management.

As government lawyers, we are held to a higher standard. This is as it should be. But there are times when the other side is throwing mud at you and you have to just take it. That can be very frustrating. The best moments come when you and your colleagues do a great job in a difficult case.

How much do you make?

$132K

$140K+