Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 AM

Default 10/20 deep flopped flush at Bellagio

My first post in HSNL, so please forgive me if I left anything important out.

Interesting hand from tonight at Bellagio. I bought in for $8k but had dwindled down to $6850 when this hand came up.

The hijack is a kid named Jim who lives in Vegas and apparently plays live cash full-time. I played with him yesterday for the first time, and he seems very willing to splash around in pots with or without the goods. He has me covered, and the cutoffs stack is almost identical to mine.

Jim opens to $80 in the hijack, the cutoff calls, I call on the button with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the SB folds and the BB calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Jim leads out for $220, and I raise to $800. The BB folds and Jim tanks before calling $580 more.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

To my surprise, Jim leads out for $1500 into the $1930 pot. I think for a bit and decide to go with it, and jam my $5950 total. I am almost entirely new to live cash games, so I'm not sure what kind of hand these players have to have to get 340BBs in.

My question is simple. I'm wondering if I can ever make a case for doing anything but moving my stack in here. I guess laying the hand down is an option, but calling an evaluating the river seems very unusual. Please discuss.

Thanks,
SS
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: 10/20 deep flopped flush at Bellagio

completely standard IMO.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 AM

This seems to be one of those spots where you pretty much know that he has a set, so you can see a non-pairing river before getting it in, but another diamond will probably kill your action.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 AM

QUOTE: This seems to be one of those spots where you pretty much know that he has a set, so you can see a non-pairing river before getting it in, but another diamond will probably kill your action.
i disagree completely...First of all I know Jim and even if i didnt the fact that Shannon says he is willing to splash around with or w/o the nuts doesnt mean THIS player has to have a set at all...He could have AK and be tryin to protect his hand vs a wide range that includes a PP with a diamond... Furthermore if he has any clue he cant call here with a set having to call $4500 to win roughly $9400 with 1 card to come if he thinks u have a baby flush which is most likely...I can make a point for your play but I wouldnt do this everytime, especially against players who have a wide range of hands preflop because they are not folding hands like T9d QTd and all sorts of other hands.
I would shove here versus the tight ass old man who refuses to get pushed around with HIS obvious set by a young kid...For what its worth.... and btw for your 1st time posting good job not posting the results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] im guessing he called and had QJ diamonds but hope not
Old 05-18-2007, 02:25 AM

If it's the same guy I think you're referring to- thin, brown hair, mid twenties looking, he's much more likely to have the nuts as opposed to a set when he donks the turn.

tbh, i'd hate to be in that spot against him.

edited to add: sometimes he's assuming you're raising the flop to buy a free card, but shoving here is terrible, b/c you're only going to get called by a better hand, and you're very deep IIRC. call the turn bet, and if he shoves the river you need to muck.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:46 AM

u think he has a set? id be very suprised to see one
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 AM

shannon its tough playing deep games with few reads, there is no 'right' answer here imo
Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me?

i think he has OP drawing dead much more often than he shows up with a set.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 AM

I think a set in this spot by VILLAIN is highly unlikely,and it is more probable Shannon, is drawing dead vs. 10d9d+ type hands!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me?

i think he has OP drawing dead much more often than he shows up with a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talkin to HEK