Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: More Hollywood gossip: George Clooney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nice. I was thinking the very same thing. although i kind of hate you for posting it first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone read the GQ article on Clooney this summer? It was pretty good, basically I think the premise is that this guy is a huge star, but for really no good reason.

BTW, I [censored] love George Clooney.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's good looking, a serviceable if not exciting actor, and easy to empathize with. Seems as good a reason to be a star as any, probably better than most.

I am indifferent toward him as an actor, but like that he is willing to take on and even direct projects that he feels are actually about something, not just purely moneymakers a la Tom Cruise.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Pretty sure you have to actually present yourselves as married for it to be a common-law marriage.

If you go around calling yourselves husband and wife long enough, then you become married by common law. If you never do so then you don't have a common law marriage. Simply living together is not enough.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Clearly this story is kind of BS But if it was all true....

[ QUOTE ]
Clooney paid for the girl's law school tuition, gave her a new car, and $250,000 just to be nice. Then she moved out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your first problem!!! Pay for Med school, or for her to be a Vet, or whatever. Dot send her to law school on your dime so she can learn how to sue you.

Also, was there primary resedence in CA? or someother state
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM

I like how this thread turned into "hey look how much I'm gonna pretend to know about Law!"
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure you have to actually present yourselves as married for it to be a common-law marriage.

If you go around calling yourselves husband and wife long enough, then you become married by common law. If you never do so then you don't have a common law marriage. Simply living together is not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right. If you live together long enough, then you can be considered common law married. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.

Funny how I can't remember what I ate for dinner yesterday but I can remember that CA is a community property state from a class 10 years ago. lol.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

This story is about as genuine as the National Enquirer. Made for an interesting read then laugh.

fyc
Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right. If you live together long enough, then you can be considered common law married. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.

Funny how I can't remember what I ate for dinner yesterday but I can remember that CA is a community property state from a class 10 years ago. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common Law Marriage Fact Sheet

[ QUOTE ]
THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.

STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
Only a few states recognize common law marriages:

Alabama
Colorado
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Washington, D.C.

IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE: If you live in one of the above states and you "hold yourself out to be married" (by telling the community you are married, calling each other husband and wife, using the same last name, filing joint income tax returns, etc.), you can have a common law marriage (for more information on the specific requirements of each state, see next page). Common law marriage makes you a legally married couple in every way, even though you never obtained a marriage license.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I reported an incident about sleazebag Wayne Brady and got flamed for it, but I have not been deterred.

This is a story from a good friend of mine who worked for Section Eight, the production company Clooney ran with Steven Soderbergh.

Perennial bachelor Clooney had been living with his girlfriend for 2 years. Very cool chick, evidently, they got along well, but then eventually split up -- and did so on very good terms. Clooney paid for the girl's law school tuition, gave her a new car, and $250,000 just to be nice. Then she moved out.

Then a year later, my friend gets a fax in the office. It's from the girl's attorney. Apparently she filed for a common law marriage with Clooney, since they had been living together long enough. With California's common law marriage statutes, she was due much more cash than the quarter mil he gave her. My friend didn't want to deliver the fax so he gave it to Clooney's assistant, who then waited for GC to come out of his office and handed the fax to him. Clooney read it silently, then slammed his fist into the wall, making a big hole.

Shortly thereafter, Clooney settled out of court with the girl because he didn't want any of this to get into the papers. He grabbed a marker on the office desk, went over to the hole that was still in the wall, and wrote a figure next to it: "7.5 million dollars."

[/ QUOTE ]

Its BS simply do to the fact that this is a story the tabloids would have loved to talk about.
And if PJ's friend heard about it from a friend then someone at US or Star etc would have heard about it to.
Since this has been printed anywhere...its more likely false than true.

Plus 7.5 million for 6 months is bogus
Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its BS simply do to the fact that this is a story the tabloids would have loved to talk about.
And if PJ's friend heard about it from a friend then someone at US or Star etc would have heard about it to.

[/ QUOTE ]

CDS - really? I have a friend who used to work for US Weekly (now writes for People) - he did the "Celebrities Are Just Like Us!" thing, as well as general celebrity reporting in clubs and stuff.

Anyway he doesn't publish / report everything he sees or hears about, if only because he can lose some access - the whole gossip industry is sort of relationship based it seems.

I always assumed there's actually alot of stuff that goes down that tabloids choose not to pick up on and publish.

-Al