Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Default I could have folded here, right? (JJ in $3+R)

I've been playing pretty solid, tight poker after the rebuy period. Pretty new to the table. Very few reads on anybody.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t13403)
Button (t4265)
SB (t6909)
BB (t39325)
UTG (t20025)
Hero (t17177)
MP1 (t20315)
MP2 (t4245)
MP3 (t4885)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t400, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls t1400, BB calls t1200, UTG folds.

Flop: (t4800) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t4000</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t15552</font>, BB calls t7552.

--------------

When I saw the flop, my initial thought was that I was getting all of my money in on this hand and that the only hand villain has that beats me is a 9.

Something tells me that it was possible for me to fold here. What is villain check min-raising that I have beat? However, I have committed more than half my stack to this hand. Can I fold to a paired board after committing 10,000 chips to the pot?

Another possibility was to check-raise all-in. It was a move that I did not want to do because I did not want to risk giving a free card and see a heart, queen, king or ace come up.

If my thinking is correct, I was going broke to a 9 on this hand no matter what I did. Do you agree here?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: I could have folded here, right? (JJ in $3+R)

I'm going broke 100% here. Villain has a monster stack and could be doing this with 22-88,78, or any 6. If he has a 9, or 66 then UL,GG,WP etc

And yeah, 1/3 of your stack is already in the pot on a safe, but draw heavy flop. It's time to get the rest in.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 PM

Bump.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 PM

He could also be doing this with any over card hearts, A/k-10H K q/j H and also 10/10, 88,77

I doubt his range is AA-QQ here because if he did he played this extremely awkwardly preflop (figuring that he would reraise to isolate one of you preflop).

I just don't see you getting away this time.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM

hmmmm, a check raise represents a lot of strength... It's a tough call but a min. reraise I'd say represents a 9... I personaly would probably fold out.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 PM

The think that the real question is weather you wanted to go all-in right from the start of the hand.
Meaning that you are taking a shot at the big stack and have no read on him or the rest of the table.
I'll explain how I would have played the hand and see if that helps you.
Your raise at the beginning is fine (but I would normally raise 3BB here - t1200).
Now before the flop comes I would be thinking that I have 2 runners in this pot. So I want a good flop to hit my hand or I'm out of there, mainly because of having no read on the other players and lower blinds and I'm guessing the money is way off.
With the flop of 9 9 6 and two hearts on the board, I would be a little wary with two others in the pot. The main reason is that someone may have caught a good piece of the flop.
I wouldn't have bet the pot here, a continuation bet of half the pot would be fine (t2400)
The main reason is that this bet should win the pot but if someone is holding a good to monster hand, you can still walk away with t13000 in your stack.
So that really is as far as I can play the hand.
As for where you are after the flop, the min-raise was to give you great odds when you were beaten. Because by your pot bet on the flop you had commented yourself to the pot and the big blind was sandbagging with I would say A9 suited but may not have been hearts. He/she could have had a bigger pair than yours but calling a t1600 in the BB with A9 suited would make sense.

Anyway could have this all wrong as I seem to be a vicious down swing at the momwnt.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Given the texture of the flop, I think you're better off checking behind and getting it on on favorable turns, jamming over a commit turn bet, or value-betting turns. It's risky giving straightforwards that much slack, but if you have the confidence, it's aight.

Allows you to check behind on riv or get it in anyways.

As played, once you bet the flop, yeah, you're calling or reshoving with stack sizes.

Distinctions that really shouldn't become part of a 3r playbook, but you get the idea, I guess.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM

I don't think getting it in here is too bad. I'd feel a lot better about it if they just shoved over our initial bet rather than minraising. Given the stack sizes I think your flop bet is bad. I mean I know there's 2 hearts out, and 87 has a good draw, and you want to charge them, but once you lead out the pot it leaves you very little room to maneuver. I'm not sure what I think about checking the flop...actually my first thought is I don't like it. I don't really understand why we want to give overs a free shot to outdraw us when the flop came 9 high. If the turn is Q-A I guess we're calling a turn bet and folding if they fire the river too? Or maybe just straight folding if it's an A and calling if it's a K or Q? I don't know, really seems like overs on the turn could 1) beat us or 2) kill action we could get from small pairs or a 6 on the flop. I mean we hate any heart or any over on the turn, and that's almost half the deck....I just don't really like checking this flop. The benefits to checking that I see are 1) encourage one of the others to bluff into us (they could end up bluffing us off of the best hand though) and 2) make a small pair feel a bit more comfortable about betting/calling a bet. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but I haven't played or posted in awhile so who knows.

FWIW I'd lead about 2.5k on the flop and take it from there.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM

I regret explaining my hand in the manner I did in the OP. It basically gave away the fact that villain had K9 off-suit and that hint at the results may have impacted some of the thought processes of responding forum members.

The only reason I didn't want to give any free card was because 38% of the time, a queen, king, ace or heart was gonna hit the turn and the chance of one coming by the river is over 50%. Checking the turn only gives me an excuse to fold an otherwise premium hand if a scare card hits.

The biggest mistake I made was betting too much on the flop. I could have bet 2500 or 3000 and had the same effect.

I have been folding overpairs way too often as of late. The times I have done so, I've been correct in that I either faced a higher pair or a set each time. But I can't get in the habit of doing that.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I regret explaining my hand in the manner I did in the OP. It basically gave away the fact that villain had K9 off-suit and that hint at the results may have impacted some of the thought processes of responding forum members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct