Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Default $27-45 man tourney facing river push

We are five handed w/ 10 players left in the tourney. I have just become chip leader, hitting a good run of cards in the last 5 deals, doubling up and winning some blinds.

The villian's PAHUD #s are pretty loose (30-23), although this is only over 55 hands. He has been pretty active overall at the table.

Is this an obvious fold? Obvious call? I can't decide. How was hand played, overall--felt kinda weak.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t800 with t50 antes (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t5320)
Hero (t11445)
Button (t4680)
SB (t8700)
BB (t10342)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2400</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t2000, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t5850) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t5850) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t3200</font>, SB calls t3200

River: (t12250) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t3050 (All-in)</font>

what should I do here? I will post the results if anybody is interested. Would anybody have folded pre-flop?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: $27-45 man tourney facing river push

Never folding Pre.

CBet flop. Disguising your hand disguises his hand, so you're readless on a bad turn card and bad river.

I'm calling this river a lot because you're priced in to call here so often.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t5850) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you check here? You represented the Ace PF ... now follow up.

I think you have to call the river... mainly because SB's play makes no sense to me ...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you check here? You represented the Ace PF ... now follow up.

I think you have to call the river... mainly because SB's play makes no sense to me ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You needed to bet the flop to give you some idea of where you stood in the hand.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 PM

flop check is fine!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:44 PM

The flop check is what put him in the position he's in, he has no idea if this could be a bluff or the real deal, or if he let a flush draw back door and run him down.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop check is fine!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for sharing your opinion, LearnedFromTV ...

Now you're obv. one of the very good players posting here ... are you good enough to understand why a post like the one you just made is useless?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 PM

I am defiently not folding this preflop. I would have c-bet the flop, however, if he has an ace he is either calling or raising. If he calls flop, I would check behind on fourth street hoping for a K to stack him on river. You are getting around 4-1 on your money which means that you need to win 20% of the time to break even. With Harrington's 10% law you have to try and find hands in which you are ahead of 10% of the time. The only hand I can see you beating is QJ, or JT, or a pp 77+ but I don't even think these are likley enough to justify a call but it is read dependent.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM

i check this flop almost every time with these stacks. a better hand is never folding, the board is very dry and it's not like you can fold to a bet or c/r on the turn, so you might as well try to extract value from underpairs and bluffs by displaying weakness.

why does betting give you such important information? you cant fold to a flop c/r or a flop call and then a turn or river lead. there's no information garnered from the bet at all other than the informational bonus of getting to see his hand when you call with your ridiculous pot odds if he shoves.

someone please give me a range of hands the sb has where cbetting makes you more chips than checking behind.

that said, i probably just push the turn. and as played, the spot really sucks and your river decisions is very marginal. you're definitely beat the majority of the time but there are so many chips in the pot that i dont think calling can be that bad. i probably call, but i could see an argument for folding if hte guy is solid.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 AM

pf is good.

With these stacks checking the flop is fine. Check back on the turn too and call a river bet. You've got showdown value and can induce a bluff on the river.

Betting the flop sucks because your hoping he folds what...an A?