Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Does Good and Evil Truely Exist?

Does good and evil really exist, or are they culturally embedded into our way of thinking and acting as children. Or is it embedded into our dna to know what's right and what's wrong? Have there been any studies about this? Or is it sheer coincidence who will be good and who will be evil and all that's in-between??
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Does Good and Evil Truely Exist?

http://www.lulu.com/content/1270751

Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM

There are arguments for both. Suffice to say you don't have to believe in god to accept good and evil. Though of course their 'meaning' will get less spiritual it doesn't mean you will have to assume all morals are culturally inherited. Humans as a whole for example at a large share some values which seem to cross cultures for the most part, and 'simpler' social animals also share some similarities.

From a purely materialistic viewpoint, you could probably define these 'basics' as the best fit for a swarm intelligence system, meaning it would tend to naturally gravitate towards them even if put together of free agents.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Okay, here's another.... Are we born good or evil??
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does good and evil really exist, or are they culturally embedded into our way of thinking and acting as children. Or is it embedded into our dna to know what's right and what's wrong? Have there been any studies about this? Or is it sheer coincidence who will be good and who will be evil and all that's in-between??

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you expecting to find something like goodium and evilium, the two elements responsible for good and evil? If not, then what are you expecting to find?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're born snarkaliffarrific, just another word that I can define as I want.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Following my 'materialistic' explanation you are indeed most likely born 'good' (though not in a spiritual sense) because it would the logical state to have gravitated too (the proof is as given above, that certain norms and values are shared almost universally, these then represent the most likely values to be gravitated towards in a swarm intelligence setting), though honourable exceptions will apply. Humans also rely on cultural learning to imbue us with further values, so any inborn 'goodness' certainly isn't a form of good that would pass with flying colours in any religion and neither are we purely 'swarm intelligent' (since we interact and learn from eachother).
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you expecting to find something like goodium and evilium, the two elements responsible for good and evil? If not, then what are you expecting to find? [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I would say that I am looking for whether we are born good or evil, and actually if those two qualities truely exist.

I understand their is a infinite wide spectrum between good and evil. I know you could say that they are ideas created about society's inhabitants, but I think you and I can recognize someone who is good and someone who is evil.

For example, someone good is a family man, who treats his family great, pays all the bills, treats others with respect, never gets angry or hostile, so on and so forth.

Someone evil is a child molester, a rapist, a murderer, an embezzler, "the American Psycho," whom is a personal fav, but not for his devilish qualities.

Then you could say, if the majority of all people suddenly became evil, then the labels would be switched, but I think you know what I am trying to identify, if not, good luck. Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Evil is a human-made concept that can't be defined in any tangible or quantifiable way. It can be used as an adjective in the way "disgusting" or "amazing" are used. The intended meaning of "evil" though, will vary more from individual to individual than those other words will.

It's foolish to ask "are we born good or evil?" without explaining what you mean more clearly. If you mean are we more benevolent or malicious, then at birth I don't think we're smart enough to be either. If you don't just mean at birth then clearly it depends on the individual. But it would seem silly to classify someone with the simple label of "good" or "evil" simply because they exhibit slightly more of one trait than another. And I picked benevolence and maliciousness arbitrarily, it could be judged in any number of ways. That's why you need to define the terms of the question.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM

That which exists through coercion and force is evil; that which exists through voluntarism is good.