Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Lefties

Is it common knowledge that lefties seem to take to golf more naturally than right-handed players? Of the 8 or 10 that I know, ALL of them strike the ball pretty well, when compared to how much/how long they've been playing.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Lefties

Its a secret only WE know. If you want to know, you gotta switch sides. Seriously, being lefty kind of sucks, you dont have access to all the equipment thats made, and often, you need to purchase what you want before you see it, etc. The advantage I like being lefty and teaching(some, I am more admin that teach) is that leftys come to you because you are lefty and right hand players dont mind you because they view you as looking in the mirror, and I actually have a harder time teaching someone left handed because I am used to seeing right handed swings(even mine in the mirror)

tobdog
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it common knowledge that lefties seem to take to golf more naturally than right-handed players? Of the 8 or 10 that I know, ALL of them strike the ball pretty well, when compared to how much/how long they've been playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intersting suggestion...i suppose that it is kinds like lefty pitchers in baseball have naturally more movement on their fastball?? However Im gonna have to disagree with you b/c I think that natural athletic ability is more important than your dominant arm.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 AM

Athletic ability has a lot to do with it, but I would agree when you say that ball striking is the direct result of your dominant arm. I am a left handed golfer, but I am dominantly right handed. I cannot swing right handed, nor am I am not ambidextrous. I have often thought that being right handed with a left handed swing has hindered my swing because of the role my right arm plays in my swing. I definitely have difficulties striking the ball cleanly at times. However, my father is a naturally left handed golfer and ambidextrous and I would definitely say his ball striking is above average. So I definitely think that your dominant arm plays a much bigger role in your ball striking.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm a lefty and I have been playing for awhile. I never have been good at golf and probably will never be a decent golfer. I wish this statement was true for me lol.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The advantage I like being lefty and teaching ... is that leftys come to you because ... they view you as looking in the mirror...

[/ QUOTE ]
I am one of those freaks that does almost everything right handed (throwing, writing, etc.) - except any swinging activity: batting, golfing, hockey, etc. (although I use my right hand for tennis - with a wicked two-handed backhand). I've heard that this is due to having learned to swing (probably a bat) by mirroring my father. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM

lol
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM

I play competitively righty, but am also about a 20 handicap left handed. I'm pretty ambidexterous for the most part, so that probably helps. For me, hitting the ball from the right side is obviously easier, but I've only played lefty for about a year, so we'll see.