Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Default AK on low coord board; check behind turn, river K

villain is 28/16/3 over 250 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

thoughts on the turn check? my thinking was that this guy is either on a slowplayed big hand or a draw. he is really aggressive and I don't want to be blown off the best hand by a turn c/r, which could easily be a semibluff. If I am ahead giving a free card isn't too big a mistake because the pot is very small, and I would expect villain to bluff his no SD value busted draws on the river which I would snap off.

River: (3.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Should I raise the river? If villain is bluffing there is no value in a raise, and if he was slowplaying a big hand I'm just going to get 3bet (which I wouldn't fold to. I should though right?).

I would expect a weaker made hand to have c/r me on the flop, and if not I'd expect that villain would try and induce a bluff on this river. also I don't think a lesser K is likely here because villain shouldn't be peeling the flop with overcards.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: AK on low coord board; check behind turn, river K

I just bet/call the turn; as played raise river; who cares if he might be bluffing - he'll pay off more than he'll 3town. He should absolutely peel w/ overcards btw if yur checking this turn w/ AK.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]
villain shouldn't be peeling the flop with overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see where your argument breaks down here? Pretty much everyone from Party's 2/4 game is peeling that flop with overcards. That isn't to say that he definitely has a worse King, but I certainly think a river raise is in order here.

Edit:

Turn - I probably would have bet this, although I do sometimes take the same line you did, with the intention of calling pretty much any river unimproved.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 PM

You played this hand perfectly IMO. PREFLOP and FLOP are standard. TURN: With two FD's present against an aggressive player, there's no way I'm betting the turn with your hand. RIVER: Although you are very likely to have the best hand I doubt that this particular player will call your raise often enough with a lesser hand to make a river raise profitable.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM

rivers pretty close for me, if ive never seen the guy fold any hand and know hes paying off 5x 8x 100% or even A hi lol i probably raise otherwise I just call. If i bet the turn I calldown here vs most (anyone ive ever seen semi-bluff really). I often do bet here Im surprised you say ud never bet this board with AKo ILP (how about no bdfd, how about no fds), theres tons of value in a bet in this steal situation i think. he peeled tons of worse hands on the flop and will call with many of them here as well i'd imagine (maybe seeing as his stats seem reasonable that aspect of it is detracted a bit).
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rivers pretty close for me, if ive never seen the guy fold any hand and know hes paying off 5x 8x 100% or even A hi lol i probably raise otherwise I just call. If i bet the turn I calldown here vs most (anyone ive ever seen semi-bluff really). I often do bet here Im surprised you say ud never bet this board with AKo ILP (how about no bdfd, how about no fds), theres tons of value in a bet in this steal situation i think. he peeled tons of worse hands on the flop and will call with many of them here as well i'd imagine (maybe seeing as his stats seem reasonable that aspect of it is detracted a bit).

[/ QUOTE ]

RIVER is close Jstill. No doubt about that. To make myself clear, I would never bet the turn with AK on this particular board against who I percieve as a good aggressive player. Against many opponent types I am betting this turn.