Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Pot Size and Bluffing

I've been debating about this for quite some time. According to TOP, Sklansky says it's not usually correct to bluff when the pot is big because, given the pot odds, your opponent will call automatically.

I read one of Ed Miller's post about how you SHOULD bluff when the pot is big because it is worth risking one more bet, and it is no different than calling a bet from your opponent because you would have done that anyway.

I can see both arguments are plausible, but which one is better? Don't bluff or risk a bet?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Pot Size and Bluffing

I'd risk making a bluff in many instances. Bluffing would probably increase the likelihood of winning the pot instead of checking down, as your foe could fold. It really depends if you plan on staying in the pot until the end.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:30 AM

It really depends on whether this is cash game, limit, or tournament. And if tournament how big is the pot in relation to your stack size etc. Too limited information to give a good response. In general I would have to agree with RufiloCaptn.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:30 AM

IMO it also depends on your table image and you also have to consider the action leading up to the decsion(who raised pre-flop...etc}. I would use other information along wit pot size to decide if the bluff is +EV or not.I wouldnt have a set rule for these types of situations. Play the player.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been debating about this for quite some time. According to TOP, Sklansky says it's not usually correct to bluff when the pot is big because, given the pot odds, your opponent will call automatically.

I read one of Ed Miller's post about how you SHOULD bluff when the pot is big because it is worth risking one more bet, and it is no different than calling a bet from your opponent because you would have done that anyway.

I can see both arguments are plausible, but which one is better? Don't bluff or risk a bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are in position, the TOP argument more correctly describes the theoretical optimum. However, if your opponents do not correctly adjust their calling ranges to the size of the pot, then bluffing more frequently may be right in practice.

Blocking bets, bets made out of position instead of checking and then calling, are more complicated. The difference between taking a bet/fold (or bet/call) line and a check-call line may be getting value from weaker hands, not bluffing out stronger hands, even if the bet is made with hands that are behind on average when called. It is easier to make value bets when the pot is large, and a larger pot may favor blocking bets. Other factors may dominate.